SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Root Pruned Last Few Pots

dieseler
15 years ago

I root pruned the last few pots today, wow what spring preview we are getting 64 outside today. I did the el sals and got started on the hardy chicago . The darn hardy chicago i was cutting with pruning saw as i cannot use stanley knife anymore on these when they were smaller but this particular plant had the biggest roots out of all of mine and it took some cutting, its my 3rd oldest yet the biggest roots and i have an idea as to maybe why but not sure. I used top soil bag on this one about 3 years back as i remembered soon as it took out of the pot and saw it and im thinking that the roots have a harder time penetrating the top soil as opposed to potting soil and grew more thicker roots. The smaller roots are there but just the bigger ones are thicker and more numerous than my other plants yet its a slightly younger tree, so i really dug into this one to remove a lot. Just my thoughts about that not absolutely sure. I have Als mix inside of garage and im using it in jasmine and oleandar pots and they seem to like it a lot, i thought about it for these larger pots as i sure they would also like it but decided against it as i had a hard enough time with the weight of these as they are. Trees now sit near overhead door and will go outside as weather permits, im holding them back inside for another week cause our weather is funny, they say next week around wed or thurdays it will be in 30s so i take my time and wait another week or so before i start wheeling in and out of garage onto driveway. Still i have door open and there getting some fresh air today. Here are 2 pictures, for those not familar with shultz and fertilome UPM i took picture, the 50 quart upm was a gift yesterday from nursery man when 1 of the 3 cubic foot bags was broke, they were the last ones he had till next delivery. The shultz i had a little left over from my small plants but did not use in the big pots.The italian fig plant from Bolonia i pruned yesterday better give me more than 1 fig this season as its going on its 4th growing season or its going to go to the glory road. I also brought out some of the patio furniture out of shed to make room for garden tractor so i could fit the fig plants behind car in garage, this car we dont hardly use unless 1 of the other ones breaks down so thats not a problem. So im done except when it starts to get real nice out for good i will transplant the ones under grow light and get them used to outdoors. After wards it was lunch time and i was to pooped to make anything so i went and treated myself to a good old fashion hamburger and fries!

Martin

{{gwi:760372}}

{{gwi:760374}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!