SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

rosemary: re-pot or root-prune?

leira
14 years ago

OK, folks.

Tonight it's going to drop into the low 20s(F), and tomorrow into the high teens, so I decided to finally bring my rosemary indoors. I'd managed to overwinter it last year, and in the Spring I re-potted it into a larger terra cotta pot and sunk the pot into the ground. At the time, its roots weren't very deep (not even as deep as its previous pot...they were probably a bit unhealthy).

At any rate, when I went to pull up the pot from the garden tonight, it was hard to wiggle it free, and then I heard the sound of ripping roots. There are some significant roots coming out of the bottom of the terra cotta pot (who knows how many I left behind, out there in the dark?)

I hadn't planned to re-pot until the Spring, but something will need to be done. Should I re-pot now into a bigger pot, or prune the roots to make them fit in the current pot? If I prune the roots, should I just trim off what's poking out, or should I pull the plant out of the pot, prune, and put it back in?

In case my over-Wintering plans will influence your opinion, it will be sitting near a window (as sunny as I've got, but not as sunny as would be ideal) at normal house temperatures. My only other option I have is keeping it next to a basement window, which would be cooler, but with significantly less light...not to mention the danger of it being forgotten. I have no unheated breezeways, attached garages, or the like.

What say ye, O Herbs Forum People? I'd intended to leave it undisturbed until March or April, but clearly that's not going to happen.

The pot is currently sitting in a bin of potting soil, awaiting its fate.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz