SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spikeco

Advice on conifers in So. Cal.

spikeco
13 years ago

Hello,

I just found your forum and am hoping someone here can help me grow several conifers in the town of Mission Viejo, California, 92691.

I can successfully grow Canary island pines and Japanese Black pines where I live. However, I have difficulty with Blue Spruce. I believe I live in USDA hardiness zone 9B and in zone 24 as shown in the Sunset Western Garden book.

I have recently purchased the following conifers:

1. Schmidt Bosnian Pine (Pinus leucodermis 'Schmidtii')
  2. Lanham's Beehive Norway Spruce (Picea abise 'Lanham's Beehive')
  3. Thunderhead Dwarf Black Pine (Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead')
  4. Golden Mugo Pine (Pinus mugo 'Aurea')
  5. Blue Spruce (Picea pungens)

I hope to grow the small Bosnian Pine and the small Norway Spruce in containers (pots). I would like to grow the others in the ground.

I just ordered two books from Amazon (as recommended on the American Conifer Society's web page, which is experiencing LOTS of problems displaying pages):

* Manual of Cultivated Conifers, and

* Gardening with Conifers

I hope to get these conifers planted soon and have some questions:

1. Can anyone here please advise me on the exposure (sun/shade) limits of any of the 5 conifers above so that I may choose appropriate places to plant them in my garden?
  2. Can you advise me the recommended soil (mixture) that I should use for any of the above conifers? BTW, I found some soil mix recommendations on gardening.eu - I put an example link attached to this post. Does anyone have any opinions on their recommendations?
  3. Can you recommend a water amount and/or a watering schedule for any of the above conifers?
  4. Can you offer any additional advice or point me to any other sources to help me succeed with these conifers?

My thanks in advance,

Spike

PS, BTW, I'm not all that savvy regarding the jargon use here (been looking at some of the other posts) so if you could humor me and "spell it out," that would be greatly appreciated... Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening.eu

Comments (17)