SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Rose Orders

sazzyrose
17 years ago

I've seen very little postings of rose orders. Isn't anyone ordering any this year?

I've gotten close to my 10 limit this year. Much closer than last year number. (Which was between 30 and 40ish)

2x Earth Song-

2x Double Delight- because of Gillians pictures

1x Aunt Honey

1x Emily Carr

1x Frau Dagmar Hastrup

1x The Fairy

1x Wasagaming

2x Scentimantal-because of Lauries picture

2x Honeysweet.

So if my DH says anything I'll tell him it's Laurie and Gillians fault.

And I missed the George Burns rose at Botanus. I've been searching for this rose for years. It was sold out a month ago. Hopefully they bring it back next year.

Shelley

Comments (84)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

but....expensive? LOL

My Emily arrived the other day from Cedar, it had a couple blooms on it, how gorgeous, but snipped them off so the energy will go into the roots.

I have the day off tomorrow, I'll be planting my roses ;)

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The roses were not bad priced for DG. $17 for 6" square pots.
    My roses will be here this week from Cedar. Can't wait.
    Happy planting Sharon.
    Shelley

• Related Discussions

Moore's Roses Order - Hand Painted Roses?

Q

Comments (4)
    I had a Champagne Cocktail and thought the blooms were beautiful but it was very bs prone. I gave it away. It seems to like the person I gave it to because it looks healthier now, so now I got a new CC. It really is pretty. Very different from Elina. Elina looks like a must have to me. There are other fine handpainted ones like STretch Johnson, Old Master, and Sue Lawley. I have Regensberg which is a good bloomer and fairly pretty. I think Moore's has that. Brilliant Pink Iceberg sometimes looks kind of hand painted. Champagne Cocktail
    ...See More

Summerland Ornamental Gardens, Rose Order and Pandemic Issues

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you Jeri and Sheila, Sheila, it is not really an ordeal, I am very chill about it and even looking forward to the arrival of the roses. I have learned in my life not to get stressed out about things over which I have no control. The Board of Directors I work with, the staff at the Research Station where the gardens are located and of course my volunteers are all on board. As long as I lead, they will make things work. The local retail nursery, Garden Works, also stepped up to help at the first request. This crisis shows that good people, with good hearts, do good things. So, I am experiencing a reality that is beyond my control. As an early elder mentor used to tell me: "From the day that you're born, till your ridin the Hearse, there ain't nothin so bad that it couldn't get worse"! That has been a mantra to me from my mid twenties to my late 60's. The reality is that it is spring, and my own garden is coming to life, as are the Summerland Ornamental Gardens behind locked gates. The cycle of the seasons goes on irrespective of our human fears and individual angst. As the old Bobby McFerrin song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" so succinctly instructs, no worries, it is what it is and it will be what it will be. So cherish nature, hold fast to those you love and smell your roses Sheila. Another poem from modern mythology that suits the times and is one I have used to live by goes: Roads go ever ever on, Over rock and under tree, By caves where never sun has shone, By streams that never find the sea; Over snow by winter sown, And through the merry flowers of June, Over grass and over stone, And under mountains of the moon. Roads go ever, ever on Under cloud and under star, Yet feet that wandering have gone Turn at last to home afar. Eyes that fire and sword have seen And horror in the halls of stone Look at last on meadows green And trees and hills they long have known.[ From - "The Hobbit", J.R.R. Tollein Don't Worry, Be Happy. It is what it is and will be what it will be. Rick
    ...See More

Palatine will open for bare root rose ordering 9/14/2020 at 9am EST

Q

Comments (220)
    Just to close out the story here -- So I had originally ordered the Eden as a gift for my friend. As you know, my AL turned out to be Eden. So we moved Eden to her new home on Saturday. And the Augusta Luise replacements (less than grade #1) arrived on Friday, so those got planted on Saturday. One in my yard, and one in my friend's yard. I have another AL coming in fall from FReedom Gardens. But I trimmed all the Eden blooms & buds off the rose before digging it up, and here is the glorious picture. If it was scented, if I had room for another climber...I might have kept her! But that spot was created (literally -- had to build a rock retaining wall to fit in another rose there!) for Augusta Luise. p.s. Diane, Colette already has many buds. I'm so excited to see what she's like!
    ...See More

All My Thyme Rose Order

Q

Comments (42)
    Diane - if you see this, I'm glad you rediscovered the All My Thyme nursery website, it's such a feast for the eyes. At some point, maybe in Spring I'll order a rose from her. As to the emails from Houzz; every topic that I post to, it sends a slew of emails to notify me every time anyone posts on that thread. I love it but the seasonal threads get so many hits ( thousands ) I can't keep up with the email. It shows how much we all love Rose Forum. Merry Christmas to everyone . Marshmellow Snowman was from Pinterest.
    ...See More
  • shootingstar2
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I tried to keep it under control this year but of course failed miserably in that department..lol.

New additions this year include.
    Rosarium Uetersen
    Friesinger Morgenrote
    Antike '89
    Folksinger
    Distant Drums
    Tradescant
    The Mayflower
    Winchester Cathedral
    Abe Darby
    Martin Frobisher
    Felix LeClerc
    The Fairy
    Morden Blush
    Morden Centennial
    Lambert Closse
    Winnipeg Parks
    Morden Sunrise
    Morden Ruby
    Rio Samba
    Sunsprite
    Intrigue

Some in the hardy bed, some in the tender "protect the heck outa" bed and some in pots that live in the attached garage over the winter.

Ahh the lenghts we go to for the roses we just "gotta have"
    shootingstar2

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Shelley, who is DG?

Nice roses shootingstar! Keep us informed how hardy they do for you.

I can't believe how fast Hawkeye Belle is sprouting new growth at the base! I'm so happy about this, I thought it was a goner ;) I'll be ordering Bucks like crazy next year for sure now that I know they are HARDY!

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dutch Growers.
    Sharon, I knew you would like the Bucks.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

That's good to hear that your Hawkeye Belle is doing great......especially since I kept shooting my mouth off about it.;^) Did you winter protect it at all?

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Ahhh, DG, my favourite GH when I lived in Saskatoon!

Yes Laurie, I did winter protect Hawkeye. I covered it with dry straw around Halloween and in that spot there must of been 5 feet of snow that drifted onto that bed.
    We don't always get snow like that every year thou.

I hope Cedar sells more own-root Buck's next year, I want them all now. LOL

Sharon

• Happy2BeeME
    16 years ago

So everyone,

How did your garden grow last year with all the new roses?

I'm just taking notes for this year, I had Distant Drums, cottage rose, the fairy. They did well last year 07' as they always do. I have had them for 4-5 years now.

thanks
    -Karyn

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My roses did fine last summer. I guess the real test is this spring. I hope I do not have any losses.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Me too, most of them grew fine except the summer was a lot drier than I would have liked. I'm thinking in future I will do more lilies and daylilies with this sandy soil I've got. A couple of the ones from Pickerings didn't make it.

• redpeony
    16 years ago

My roses did really good last year - althought they are all hardy roses. I will wait to see how the Morden fireglow comes back this year, as it is the first to lose the snow cover in the chinook weather. I do have 9 other hardy roses that I planted last year, so it will be exciting to see how much winter kill I have. I do expect them all to live though!

Janet

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

We added a truck load last year...lol..i think we are up to 34 or 35, and all did well except for Folksinger, it was a mildew mess pretty much through the whole season.

We added or had already:

Champlain (or not I think it is a mis-label)
    Morden Sunrise - luv it
    Winnipeg Parks - luv it
    Lambert Closse - small still
    Morden Centenial - good 1st year performance
    Morden Blush - going to luv it for sure when bigger
    Hope for Humanity - great colour - some mildew
    Prairie Joy (was labeled Prairie Dawn)-WOW luv it
    Rugosa Turbo (luv this one a real trooper)
    Felix LeClerc - still small,did not bloom yet
    John Davis - good performance
    Jacques Cartier/Marchesa Boccella - really luv this one
    Abe Darby - grew huge, very nice, good repeat
    Winchester Cathedral - have a pink & white, really like
    Tradescant - great colour and scent
    The Fairy - hubby loves this one
    Folksinger - may meet Mr Shovel if it mildews again
    The Mayflower -slow start then really liked it
    Distant Drums - WOW....
    Friesinger Morgenrote (wow-luv it)
    Rosarium Uetersen (luv-it)
    Antike '89 (did not bloom 1st year but a 8-9'canes-wow)
    Henry Hudson - an old fav
    Martin Frobisher - did very well
    Quadra - great colour & performance
    and 2 William Baffins - what was I thinking...lol

Garage Roses were:

Gruss an Aachen
    Sunsprite
    Intrigue
    Rio Samba (hubby's favourite hands down)
    Beauty Secret
    Janna

What grew the BEST for me last year was hubby's love of roses, I did not expect it and he got right into it. He was always there asking what he could do to help and he listened when I babbled on about the roses. We brought Beauty Secret in and grew it over the winter, it is blooming right now second winter bloom. I also scooped 5 micro mini's at wallyworld in Jan. and divided them and took cuttings. We have about 35 of them in the basement under grow lights that are blooming their heads off right now. He sure surprised me as he is loving this "roses in the winter" thing, and fusses over them as much as I do.

So now that we are both officially out of control we have 31 coming this spring.

cathy (who probably needs an intervention)

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have Folksinger too, actually 2. The one is in an area that gets less sun. And boy is that one a Mildew Magnet. I am moving that one this spring into a sunnier area to see what will happen.

I hate to say that so far I have 4 roses coming to me this spring. I've decided to redo my lily bed and make into another rose bed. And since it is better to move the lilies in fall, the roses are an hold this year. Unless,...well no...maybe I'll find a few more to add.

Where are you ordering yours from Cathy?

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I must have my Folksinger in a spot that it loves, because so far, knock on wood, it hasn't had problems with mildew and it's going into it's fifth summer. It's in full sun with lots of elbow room, so I'm sure that helps.

If anybody comes across a Canadian site selling Buck's 'Honeysweet', please let me know. Since Cedar Hollow closed out, I can't find a source for this one.:(

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

Shelley,
    The bulk of this years order is coming from Pickering. I really wanted to get a few Geschwind's from Palantine but decided to hold off on those till next year.

cathy

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I've only got two roses on order for this spring so far, Double Carlos Red and Prairie Peace from Erskine.

I would like to add more Bucks, but can't find a close by supplier that sells own-roots.

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

Laurie & Sharon,

About the only Canadian Supplier that I know of that has a decent listing of Bucks right now is Old Heirloom-Canada. I don't think they have Honeysweet this year but they do have a pretty decent selection and they are own-root.

Not sure how expensive their shipping would be to you guys though, they are on the east coast.

Here is a link to their site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses-Canada

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I wrote an email to HR way back in December about what Bucks they had in stock with no reply back. I'll try again.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Wow Heirloom really needs to update their website :S

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been trying to get a response from Heirloom through e-mail too. Not only recently, but the last couple years...Well if they do not reply, maybe they do not need the business.

I am also waiting on a response from a US supplier to whether they ship to Canada or not. They initiated the contact by wanting to use some of my rose pictures for their site. The boss is away, so we'll see what happens. BTW they are all own root and have tons of Bucks. But Laurie, no Honeysweet.
    Now that most of my health issues are behind me...maybe... possibly I can try to root some Bucks this spring. I tried last fall with no luck what so ever. I think the shoots that I used were too new. I only wonder if the babies would survive the winter if I did get them to root.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I did email HR about Honeysweet, but from the sounds of all your comments, I won't be holding my breath for a response.:(

Shelley, that's really great news to hear that your health issues have been resolved, I'm sure it's a big weight off your shoulders too. If you happen to have some luck with rooting a Honeysweet, I'd certainly buy one off of you. I think I read somewhere that the shoots you need for rooting have to have bloomed or be blooming already, so these shoots are not very green. I had tried rooting some cuttings a few years ago with no success, and after I read that I thought that the cuttings I took were still too young. Maybe I'll have to try again sometime.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie, I hope I have luck this year rooting the roses. I'll let you know if I do.

Shelley

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

After looking all over for own-root Buck roses in Canada, I saw 'Golden Unicorn' in the Lindenberg Seeds catalouge and asked them if it was on its own roots. Their response was so encouraging, saying "hardy shrub roses on the Prairies have to be grown on their own roots". So I have "Golden Unicorn' on order. I also have 3 Scots roses from Cornhill coming, 'Stanwell Perpetual' 'Kakwa' and 'Mary Queen of Scots'.
    It will be interesting to see how last years new roses come through, we have had more wind and extreme cold this winter than usual. The snow would blow from one direction and I shoveled it back over the roses and put down evergreen branches to hold it and it blew off the other side. I did cover the two Explorers with straw early so hopefully they are alright.
    Leo

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

I've been a little timid of planting less hardy roses even though I am in zone 4b. I'd be interested in hearing how you all winter protect your tender HT roses.

• Happy2BeeME
    16 years ago

I too have had not so good luck with the less hardy roses, seems the Austins aren't for me. So I started looking into the hardier Canadian Roses, glad to hear they all did well for you last year, what if any die back did you see.

I'm wanting something that will be taller than 2-3' at the end of the growing season. I want BIG, TALL if at all possible.

I also would like to know how you put them to bed for winter. Mine I covered as best I could with mulch and as the snow came shoveled snow on them. This week we have melted about a foot of snow and I can see the tips of the tallest but there is still 3' around them.

:) Karyn

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Leo, I got my Golden Unicorn from Lindenberg's in '06 and it did really well last year....I was very pleased. Here's a picture of it, in it's full glory.

{{gwi:698115}}

I put a chicken wire cage around it and filled it with leaves for the winter. Also that bed gets all the snow blown on top of it from the lane, so the roses are quite protected. Any of the Explorer roses, I have never winter protected, and they all usually come back with at least half of their canes green in the spring.

Karyn, John Davis gets to about 5' for me, but it's on a trellis, and I don't know how well it would do as a bush. JP Connell, I've had for 6 or 7 years, and it usually gets about 4' or taller by the end of summer. Red Rubusta got to almost 4' last year, and it was only it's second summer, so I'm not sure what to expect for this year.

• prairierose
    16 years ago

We often spend most of the winter without snow cover, so I mulch my roses with straw 6-8" deep. My John Davis is probably about 5 feet tall but it's gawky - it sends out big sturdy canes in odd directions and looks all "elbows and knees". It would probably be better on a trellis. It rarely has any winterkill. My Hansas get to 4-5 feet tall, and some years that's starting from the level of the straw, if it's a bad winter. Most of my other roses are smaller or too young for me to know yet. I have two other big ones. My Scotch Altai - single, white, onceblooming and very early. It requires regular pruning to keep it under control - I let it get to 5-6 feet tall and 8 feet wide, and never winterkills. My other tall rose is an unknown single white - nasty thorns, makes a good fence/windbreak. It gets some winterkill, but that just makes it meaner.

Connie

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do not do any protecting of my roses in the fall.(I'm lazy)
    But I do water everything really well before they go to sleep.
    I generally search for roses that are listed for zone 4 and lower. The Bucks fit the bill and I'm having success with the Baileys too.

Leo, my Golden Unicorns are from Lindenberg too.

Karyn,my tallest rose bush is Alexander Mackenzie. It probably reaches close to 5' by the end of the year. I also would recommend Prairie Joy. It doesn't get as big as AM, but it is still one of the bigger ones in my garden. Dieback depends on the winter as well as the snow cover. But these 2 usually for me have 3 feet or more left after pruning in the spring. Both of these are my better bloomers with good repeat.
    Prairie Peace gets to about 6' here and Theresa Bugnet is another taller one. These 2 have very little die back. Both are earlier bloomers with a bit of repeat in the year.

Shelley

• beegood_gw
    16 years ago

I ws looking for a Prairie Joy last year and was told it is no longer being grown but replaced by Prairie Princess and Prairie Dawn. They are both very much the same.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have Prairie Princess. It is a blooming machine as well. The branches are quite spindly and do bow down. I think this one would work well with a trellis as it could be quite tall.
    If they are no longer propagating Prairie Joy, it is a shame.

Shelley

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

I just checked out Cornhill Nursery for Buck roses, since they are only about 1/2 hr drive away. To my surprise, they only carry one, so I asked them why. Got a reply this morning that they only grow roses that don't need any winter protection. They had tried some in the past, but would rate them the same as the Austins. He did say that they would be doing more testing on the Bucks.

• Happy2BeeME
    16 years ago

Shelley

Thanks for the info. Would love to see pics of Praire Joy, and Theresa Bugnet if any one has them.

I'm going on the hunt. Our local shops haven't even started bringing in plants yet.

Thanks so much.

karyn

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

{{gwi:223812}}Therese Bugnet is hard to beat. This is after a 4" overnight rain. The only problem is powdery mildew in the late summer.
    Shelly, what is you opinion of 'Prairie Dawn'. Her sister 'Prairie Youth' is one of my favourite roses but Lynne at Ceddar Hollow so disliked P Dawn that they discontinued it.
    leo

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Leo, I do not have Prairie Dawn or Prairie Youth. So I have really no input on them.
    I have seen pictures of them both??? I'm not sure what to think. But I do love Prairie Joy. Below are a couple pic's of mine.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Oh yeah what a stinker, I can see why they quit propagating it (complete sarcasm). It reminds me a lot of Bonica, very pretty Shelley!

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

beegood,

I got my prairie joy last spring at a local greenhouse, however it was labeled prairie dawn...FWIW

happytobeme

Pickering carries both prairie joy & therese bugnet

cathy

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Bloomorelse, that's interesting about what Cornhill Nursery has to say about Austins vs. Bucks. I'm no expert on either, but I've tried 4 Austins over the years, and only one survived one winter and then didn't make it the next year. Whereas with the Bucks, I've got 2 going into their fifth summer.

• Happy2BeeME
    16 years ago

cathy,

Thanks for the info. I never thought to look there for them.

I love the name Theresa Bugnet, I picture this cute little girl with a net over her head watering the roses. :)

karyn

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

karyn

Thanks...now i'll never be able to look a TB again without also seeing your mental image..lol..

Incidentally, I think it is supposed to be pronounced like Boon-yay. I could be wrong though, happens all the time ;-)

cathy

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

Has anyone here tried to overwinter Hot Cocoa ?

• greenhaven
    16 years ago

Hey, all! I am new to these forums, and this is my first posting in "Far North." I am not quite as far north as some here, nothern Illinois for zone 4b-5a.

I am expecting roses from HR this May: Jude the Obscure, Cassie,CL Cecile Brunner, and Darlow's Enigma. (Have you ever placed an order in the Fall, only to wonder, Come Spring, "What was I thinking?")

I am salivating over the photos of Buck roses, and want more, now that I gaining an overall vision of where my plants will go.

Last year I planted my first roses, two Zephies (Lots of cane growth, no blooms) and a Knockout.

I can hardly stand waiting for the right weather!

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I can't wait to get my Hazeldean Koren ;)

I ordered some own root roses from Valley K Greenhouse as well this year.

Alchymist
    Carefree Beauty - Buck
    Rosa Mundi
    Rosarium Uetersen
    Topaz Jewel

Sharon

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

It was nice enough today that I took time to clear sod from one of the few spots with enough sun for roses. I will be putting 'Kakwa' and 'Stanwell Perpetual' there. Then I still have to decide where to put 'Mary Queen of Scots' and 'Golden Unicorn'. 'Alika' and 'Ames Climber' go along the fence in back of the other roses. A friend offered to pick up a 'Hazeldean' from Dieter Martin's if it is thawed enough there to get it out of the field which will mean taking up some more lawn.
    Leo

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

Well I'm probably throwing my money away, but I've ordered the following:
    Cheer up
    Denver's Dream
    Starina
    Teddy Bear
    Irresistible
    Hot Tamale
    Loving Touch

Picked a delivery date of mid-May. There was still so much snow when I ordered, I figured it would be that late before the snow melted. Most of the snow in the area I want to plant (an existing bed next to the house) has no snow left. I think after seeing the damage on the current plants, I'll have to build a little A-frame for them all. My DH hawled down the snow from the roof and it was so heavy that it broke a lot of the shrubs that were in there.

Joan

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Well, my roses did well this year. I overwintered by merely putting grocery store bags filled with shredded newspaper under the rose branches. Then I made sure I shoveled extra snow over them. I've got canes that are green for 1 foot!

These are the ones I've overwintered in the garden:

1. Moondance - TENDER
    2. Julia Child - TENDER
    3. Golden Celebration - TENDER ***
    4. Elizabeth Taylor - TENDER ***
    5. Mary Rose - TENDER ***
    6. Brother Cadfael TENDER ***
    7. Alexander MacKenzie
    8. Molineux (not very hardy) - TENDER
    9. Living Easy - TENDER

1. Morden Centennial
    2. Hansa
    3. Pink Grootendorst
    4. Henry Hudson
    5. Black Cherry - TENDER
    6. Tournament of Roses - TENDER
    7. Crimson Glory - TENDER
    8. Honey Perfume - TENDER ***
    9. Paul Shriville - TENDER
    10. Fisherman's Friend - TENDER
    11. L.D. Braithwaite - TENDER ***
    12. About Face - TENDER
    13. Blanc Double de Coubert
    14. Chrysler Imperial - TENDER
    15. Frederic Mistral - TENDER
    16. Morden Blush
    17. Cherry Parfait - TENDER
    18. Iceberg - TENDER
    19. Shropshire Lad - TENDER
    20. Daybreaker - TENDER
    21. Liebezauber - TENDER ***
    22. J.P. Connell

The TENDER roses that I've found extra hardy are marked by ***. I've REALLY noticed the difference with the bag method. It is FAR superior to any other method for winter protection I've used.

I've also got about 20 new roses coming!!!

Carol

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

That's great Carol. I did read about your success of the shredded paper in plastic bags earlier. You wait til the ground if frozen before you pack in your bags...maybe November or December? I guess I'll never know unless I try some.

Joan

• Happy2BeeME
    16 years ago

Carol,
    I'm interested, please do tell more about this. Do they help keep the canes from being broken by the weight of the snow or for insulation?

-Karyn

• Happy2BeeME
    16 years ago

needed to move this up again, i'm still doing research on all the GREAT suggestions.

Karyn

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Cathy,

I ordered Theresa Bugnet and her sister Marie. They will be here the 2nd week of July. I'm so Excited. Did you know there is a "whole family" of Bugnets but for some strange reason only a few are rated as being cold hardy the others are Z6 or higher.

I'll post pictures when I can.

Everyone,

Any new pictures from this year yet? I have bud on all here and my Distant Drums opened up this morning but wouldn't you know it it's raining cats & dogs today.

And Oh the iris! I planted 3 years ago have opened and have been enjoying them the past couple of days. :)

Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugnet family

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

Joan - I do the bags right before the first big freeze.

Karyn - Mostly for insulation.

Carol :)