SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Getting More Daylilies- This time from Maryott's

newyorkrita
17 years ago

Well, I have been thinking on this order for awhile and deciding on what to get. Finially ordered tonight.

Maryott's has gotten such high praise here on Gardenweb, plus I was concerned about the evergreens and e-mailed Bill Maryott. I was most impressed with his patience answering my newbe questions. His advice was to get them planted early in the year, June or July the lastest and they would thrive.

So I got-

Reds one each-

FIERY TEMPER

INSIDER TRADING

BETTY FORD

BLISSFUL BEAUTY

CARNIVAL IN BRAZIL

HERO WORSHIP

And Red

VELVET EYES-3DF

Then I got 3 each of the following most of which were their 3 for a special price deal-

CONTINENTAL HOLIDAY

FRANCOIS VERHAERT

GIFT FROM HEAVEN

HILLBILLY HEART

THESE EYES

LEE PICKLES

MABELINE EYES

MINSTREL'S FIRE

TIC TAC TOE

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

WISEST OF WIZARDS

JAMAICAN MUSIC

SEDONA

Everything I ordered is reblooming so I should get lots of flowers.

Now as to the fact that I ordered three of most things, yes, I do understand the spacing and that they will increase and make a clump. I however, like the look of a run of the same daylily which is why I put mulpitles in rows in other areas of the garden. These are all for the new front Daylily garden and I want larger groupings of all the same flower when they bloom so the three cumps of each.

The reds I am putting in a row, instead of a row of the same, this row will be mixed reds. I just picked the reds that I liked most from the pictures and descriptions.

Going to be lots of planting when they arrive.

Comments (39)

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

I'm sure you'll be thrilled with your order. I love reds, too, and bought quite a few of the same from Maryott's. Don't forget to leave room for some bonus plants -- Maryott's is very generous.

Chris

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Rita, I have nine of the ones you ordered, some of which came from Maryott's. One of the best reds I have, Hearts Of Fire, also came from Maryott's. It holds it's color all day, is a velvety red, never water spots and is beautiful from the very 1st bloom to the last rebloom. You're going to be thrilled with your dl's from Maryott's and like Chris said, make sure you save room for bonus plants, cause Bill is one of the most generous sellers I've ever bought from.
    Jan

• Related Discussions

More Daylily pics- This Time of Multiples, or Groups

Q

Comments (10)
    For the first time ever the deer have found my Daylily garden. They have eaten every bud off a 50ft row. At least I have yours to enjoy. Thanks for the pics. In the past an electric fence has worked wonders on other parts of my property. I guess I'll have to extend it all the way to the front gardens.
    ...See More

Blooms from recent Maryott purchases

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi Mike, You might find Best in Class as actually much nicer than the picture. And this is the newly planted bloom. I can only imagine how it will look once it gets established. I am also eagerly anticipating Bill Maryott's future intros. It is beginning to look like we haven't seen anything yet. Bj
    ...See More

Received daylilies from Maryott's

Q

Comments (2)
    How much fun you must have had going through the box. I love getting delivery from Maryott's -- they send huge healthy plants and always great bonus plants too. I'm going to look up which bonus plants you got. Enjoy!
    ...See More

New Daylilies from Maryott's

Q

Comments (10)
    When I first started out with daylilies, Maryott was where I started so I have many daylilies of his in my gardens. I remember well the excitement of opening the box with those huge fans inside and all the generous bonuses! I have some of the carved daylilies but they don't fare well here (the plants are huge clumps and among my healthiest, but the blooms are often deformed) so they are leaving my garden this year. I gave them 4 years to shape up so it's ship out time. One of my most treasured daylilies and best performers is Incendiary, which is one of Bill's. Enjoy those new babies!
    ...See More
  • newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was wondering if the red Daylilies do better with alittle shade or if it doesn't matter.

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Most of the reds I have do well in full sun. Only a few tend to get slick and melt with the heat. For some reason, I have more of a problem with the purples doing that.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. You know I had Hearts of Fire on my list of ones to choose but somehow didn't order it. Oh, well, that problem was easily fixed.

I actually have another row spot I am looking for a run of the same daylily. I had been having troubles finding something because whatever I put there (and I wanted all the same) had to be quite tall.

So now I have decided on Hearts of Fire and ordered 9 plants (three of their 3for deals). I bet thats really going to light up the garden.

This is in an area off my kitchen patio in the back and not going to be near those other reds I ordered to make a mixed red row.

Thank you for reminding me of Hearts of Fire, solves my delemma!!!

• simplton
    17 years ago

Rita, it won't be more than a year or two and you will be selling on the auction. You can get your money back in a flash! But, you will spend it on more.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I ship out so much stuff for my business that I can't immagine having more stuff to pack and ship plus they would have to be dug the morning of shipment or at the worst, the night before. Unless I just shipped on Fridays and Saturdays, I couldn't get it done. Oh, well. Its something to consider for the future.

I just want a truely beautiful garden. I will never be crossing and raising seedlings. I get annoid with any that set seed pods and promptly cut them off.

Of course, everyones perfect garden is different but its starting to get to the point were things are coming along the way I want them this year. I know last year my neightbor had family visiting her and brought them for a tour of my yard and gardens. I could see that the poor guy cold think of nothing to say. Finially he told me "it looks very full". All the mulched areas seemed to be confusing, they wondered were the grass was (I have very little) so all the planted areas were not what they were into but its what I am into.

Truthfully most people that come up my driveway and then see the back and side yards stop dead in their tracks and say how beautiful it is. Hopefully the front yard will get like that too this year. And I STILL have so very much to do to get it right!

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Glad I was able to help Rita. My HOF is showing off right now. When I ordered it, I got the 3 dbl fan special, that was a year ago last fall, and I've already been selling it and trading it with friends because it has increased so fast. You're going to love it. Oh, and it is a tall one too, so it's just what you wanted. :)
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, this is a tough spot for me to pick one for as the flowers had to be very tall. I think Hearts of Fire will work perfectly along that row.

I do have some pure yellow daylilies there that I had in a bunch for years. The bunch got so big that I dug it up and divided it into lots and lots of plants and planted that row. Trouble is that it should be taller for there so I am going to move the whole row to another spot were they don't need to be taller. I am not sure what they are, not Stellas though. I bought them from my other house were I had them more than ten years ago when I moved here so I have had them for a long time.

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Are they fragrant Rita? Could be Hyperion. What color yellow are they, lemon yellow or more of a butter yellow?
    I've got Hyperion and it's a lemon yellow and has a wonderful fragrance. It's tall, but not as tall as HOF.
    Jan

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Made this clump photo tonight using a flash. You can get an idea of how tall and strong the scapes are on HOF.

Here's a close up.

It looks like velvet and it holds up well in the sun too.
    Jan

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

Awwwwwwww thats so purty. I love red but somehow don't buy many. I got a couple from Maryotts last year though. I got Hearts and Lace and Wispy Rays. I hope they bloom good this year. My favorite Red that I dearly love is Crimson Sheen. It is a little darker than the picture, the camera sees it as bright red.

Dot

{{gwi:647957}}

• MaxBaerHems
    17 years ago

Great idea Jan...nightime Daylily pic's....wonderful effect! Hey did you send me that one?? Hmmmm you should have....LOL You know how I like Red...:)

Nice one Dot...:)

Rick

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I appreciate the pictures, night effects or not. I am thinking Hearts of Fire is going to work very well in this area for me.

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Rick....I think I did send you some of that one. You better go check!!! LOL
    Yes, Rita, I think you will love it. :)
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, forgot to say that those yellows are not Hyperion as I just saw pictures of Hyperion in a catalog the other day and mine are different.

• hemboy
    17 years ago

Just wondering, Rita. You orignally said blew your budget with R & R. How many times have you changed your budget? Are you in Congress?

Thats OK. My budget is what I have spent at end of each year. That way I never go over.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, to me its all a matter of percepton. When I ordered from RR I thought that was an awful lot of money for some Daylilies, even if they were prettier than anything I had ever seen before. After you kind folks put me on to Marietta and Maryotts, I saw more daylilies they likes of which I had never even immagined, they were so pretty.

So I decided I could have the daylilies I wanted in my big garden redo this spring, which was not planned in advance but sort of grew as it went along. I mean something was planned but not on the grand scale it wind up as.

Besides, I have NO patience. If can have it this year, I don't want to want until next year. My budget just flew the coop!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am chomping waiting for my Maryotts order to arrive, I just can't wait.

Of course, I don't even know if its shipped yet and don't want to be a total pain in the but by e-mailing them and asking.

Anyone get their Maryotts order yet?

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Yep...mine came today. I am waiting for it to cool off and then I'll go outside to pot them up. They sent,
    Calico Jack - 3 fans
    Cherrystone - 2 fans
    Cluster Muster - 4 fans
    Larry Grace - 4 fans
    Pretty Gaudy - 2 fans
    Lori Goldston - 3 fans
    Laughing Out Loud - 4 fan Bonus
    As always, they were huge and healthy. This was their "mix it up collection"...7 DL's for $57.10 (including SH). I think that's a bargain!
    Kathy

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

I received mine Monday (but I was so anxious to order, I was probably the first one they got after their website opened). I think I ordered eight different daylilies, and received bonuses of IMPRESSIONISTIC (Maryott), DELIA O'BRYAN BROWN (Ridder) and MARAUDER (Maryott).

• carlamarie
    16 years ago

Great pictures everyone! Love seeing them for sure.

I received my Maryott order June 15th. I was one of the very first orders in. Mine were one of the first to be dug. GREAT plants I must say. The bonus plants all I can say is OH MY! They are better than the ones I ordered. IF you would like to see some Maryott Intros (incase you get them as a bonus), please take a look at my daily blog. The link is below. I have 2 Maryott intros on there. (Golden Honey & Social Graces). Winning Note,Off Beat and Cameo Luster are getting ready to bloom, so be sure to check back daily on my blog.

I have to say that Golden Honey and Winning Note are my VERY VERY favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carla's Daylilies

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, some of you have gotten yours really early. Mine just came so writing and complaining on the forum that they weren't here seems to have done the trick, ha :-))

I am soooooo pleased with the quality of the plants they shipped. Some two fans but large and many, many were three fans with four fans here and there. Packing was excellent and I after sorting my plants out into groupings I am having lots of planting to do.

They sent me 7 bonus plants, two of which, Because of You and Pandora's Treasure are $100.00 2007 Maryotts intros.

The other bonus' I got were also Maryotts intos from prior years. They sent me Bubbles Galore, Mexican Magic, Maurauder, Decadence and Winning Note.

After I went to their website to look up the bonus plants, I was really very surprised at the value and beauty of the bonus they sent out.

I had ordered 3 of the 3-fers on Hearts of Fire so wanted 9 plants but they goofed and sent me three and only three on the packing list. Bill said it was him entering the order into the computer incorrectly after Marilyn proccesses the orders and gives them to him.

So next week they are going to ship me my missing plants. I couldn't let that go by without getting more so I ordered 3 Hi Ho Silver and 4 Off Beat and they all will come next week.

I can't immagine how beautiful it will look when they all bloom and my gardens will look smashing.

I am so happy. At the rose forum when people get their mail order roses and are pleased they always say they are doing the "happy, happy rose dance". Well, here I am doing the "happy, happy daylily dance" :-)) Needless to say I was very pleased with my first experience with Maryotts!

• cavamarie
    16 years ago

I am sooo wanting to see pictures of what you have done this year. I cant even imagine what you must have there. So pictures, please!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know how people manage to plant hundreds of daylilies in a day. I have been working away here and only managed to plant 30 of mine so far. Of course after I planted them, I put compost and mulch around them so that did take some time and effort. I guess I am just slow.

I got a section of the front yard daylily garden done and it sure does look nice. Will look nicer as the plants green up and grow and of course bloom!

Well, off to get some more planted.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday I put in the single reds I had also in the front yard and today I planted all those lovely gorgeous Maryotts bonus plants. I had thought I might put some in my backyard were I need to start putting daylilies but I guess I couldn't help myself, I planted them in the front yard garden. They are in a lopsided row in back of all the 3-fer groupings that I put in the front of that front yard bed.

I am trying to immagine that garden all in bloom and all I can think of is that is should be awesome.

I am just very taken by the quality of the plants from Maryotts, although I am not actually surprised as everyone on the forum said how great they were. For instance, I was looking at the front garden after I got the daylilies in and there were more plants of more than 2 fans than there were 2 fan divisions. I have three plants of these eyes and they are all four fans and one of the four fan ones has another 2 fans growing crooked off it that was cut down to an inch so that one is really six fans.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So my second batch of plants from Maryotts arrived today. These were the rest of the plants should have been in the first order and the ones I added.

Wait till you see my bonus list !!!!!!!!!!

They sent me bonus of

3 Prediction 2005 Maryotts intro just gorgeous yelow with red eye and red edges, love, love, love it!

3 Oktoberfest 2005 Maryotts intro goreous rufled red orange another to love!

3 Inner Vision 2005 Maryotts 2005 intro gorgeous ruffled blended colors another I just love, love, love!

And, lastbut not least
    1 Incendiary 2007 Maryotts intro going for $100.00 that is the most stunning red purple.

All are at least double fans. Again, some of my order are large triple fans. I am just astounded at the quality of the plants and the bonuses that I have received. Hurray for me!!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All done planting. The last one I planted was the bonus plant of Incendiary and I just wanted to mention that it was three large fans. Three fans of a $100.00 bonus plant is awsome to me.

The new plants I ordered, 3 Hi Ho Silver and 4 Off Beat, went to continue along a front row that was started by the 9 Hearts of Fire. This is a small skinny garde section that has 4 deep red Floribunda roses in a row, then some ornamental grass and some mixed up shrubs like azalea and lobelia. Now it has a row of daylilies in front of everything in that section.

The 3fers that I got as bonuses I used to start planting my new backyard daylily bed. Yesterday I started laying out how its going to be and if you immagine a 6 by 26 rectangle, I saved space in each front corner were I want to put a large bunch of whatever and then laid out a double row going accross the front. First row will be two of the same and then the second row staggered will be three of the same all planted in rows.

Then I haven't laid out the rest but will have a third row and then can do perrenials in the back but I think I want four rows of daylilies and probably that is what I will do and put the other stuff in the higher teir terraced right in back of this rectangle.

• carlamarie
    16 years ago

Hey Rita. Great order and bonuses you got. You'll be very pleased. Here is an FFO of Off Beat and Oktoberfest. These are GREAT! I got Off Beat last year and Oktoberfest is here since 2005.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. I know I did great, can't go wrong with Maryotts. So glad I started buying there. I have so many bonus plants, I just can't belive it. And he sends pricey bonuses, not cheap ones.

Next week they are sending my order from the other month (which was holding until I could get my backyard area done) which is multiples of --

AESTHETIC BALLET
    BLISSFUL BEAUTY
    CELEBRATION OF ANGELS
    CHERRYSTONE
    CUBAN SKIES
    ELECTRIC MARMALADE MAGIC
    ELEGANT CANDY
    GILLIAN
    HIDDEN RICHES
    PEARLFISHER PINK
    PRETTY GAUDY
    REASON FOR TREASON
    SABINE BAUR

I still want to order Paradise City from them for a good late plus it reblooms.

• carlamarie
    16 years ago

I have Reason For Treason and Sabine Baur on your last order. I don't have any of the other ones you mentioned. Sabine hasn't bloomed for me this year yet, but here is a photo of Reason For Treason which started blooming this week.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Reason For Treason looks great in your picture. I hope some of these bloom for me this year as I will go bookers waiting for next year otherwise!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Maryotts order came today and I have been busy planting. Great plants as usual, many with so many fans I just couldn't believe it.

I got Social Graces and Inner Vision for Bonus plants. I looked up Social Graces, its a 2006 Maryott intro going for $74.00 and it is just striking. I already have it planted. I had gotten three plants of Inner Vision for part of the bonus from my last Maryotts order so am not sure what I am going to do with this one.

Honestly I don't think any of the large comercial vendors compair to Maryotts for the quality of what you get for your order.

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I just placed my fall order, or at least part of it, with Maryott's last night. I wanted to get in on the John Peat special bonus plant. I'll add to mine all along as I decide what else to order, and they'll ship it to me the last week of Sept. I always look forward to getting my shipments from them too.
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wrote to Bill Maryott and he told me that he sent me Social Graces as a bonus plant because he was getting reports from both New Jersey and Canada that Social Graces was spectacular there. So it should do very well here I am sure.

Every time I look up the bonus plants included in my orders, I always have to flip, they are so beautiful (and pricey).

I actually am waiting until he changes the special to order as I do not want John Peat as it does not appeal to me.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heres what I ordered today--

SEA OF CORTEZ
    VELVET EYES
    3 JUNE HUDSON
    KWANZA GOLD
    JUST KISS ME
    PAINT THE TOWN RED
    AZTEC BEAUTY
    BEYOND RICHES
    COQUINA KEY
    DRESS BLUES
    ELEMENT OF SURPRISE
    KISSES LIKE WINE
    MARILYN SIWIK
    NIGHT RHYTHMS
    PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY
    ROSE FEVER
    ROSY RHINO
    3 RUSSIAN RAGTIME
    STORM OVER TOLEDO
    TENNESSEE AFTERGLOW

I just can't immagaine how beautiful its all going to look next year when it all blooms. I know I will get some blooms here and there this year (already have) but I don't expect much until next year.

Forget what I said somewhere else about not getting any more this year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

FFO open on one of my Off Beat plants today. Really quite striking, I think I am really going to like this one.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Maryotts order came today, same day my Bettys Country Garden order came, so there were two hugh boxes sitting on the front porch when I came home from doing afew errands.

I tell you the later in the year, the more fans per plant. There are numberous ones with five hugh fans all growing in a clump shipped as one order. Just increadable. The quality just astounds me.

I got two Wild Cherry Roundups as my Special Gift Bonus and then I got MORE bonus plants. Two Cameo Luster (Maryott 2005 $75.00 apiece)a lovely ruffled pale pink, Two Spacecoast ones and I don't have any spacecoast before this. Got Spacecoast Cotton Candy and Spacecoast Royal Ransom. Then I got In Style a $100 2007 Maryott intro and another Incendiary a $100 2007 Maryotts intro. I had gotten one of those in a prior order.

And the plants I ordered are mostly hugh. Many are going to make instant clumps. I am just one happy camper about my daylilies.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For those of you who have never ordered from Maryotts here are some of the fans they sent taken as I was unpacking.

Each division was ordered as one plant and these are four and five huge fan groups. No wonder I keep ordering from them. On top of that they send many bonus plants!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery