SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okeewap

squirrels stripping bark

okeewap
17 years ago

I have two three story high evergreens in my small city yard. Every year the squirrels strip some bark and I loose needles. It always comes back. Some years better than others. In fact, the past couple of years they have been doing really well filling in more and more.

This year I had branches drastically cut from a neighbors enormous two story mulberry tree that hangs mostly over my driveway, front porch and house. After three years of spending my summers cleaning up berries, I had had it. I'm assuming that the squirrels either lost their home and needed bark to nest or lost berries to eat, because this year they went to town on my evergreens.

They are almost bare from needle loss. There is almost no bark left on the trunk.

I called a tree company and they want to treat the trees with an injection. They said the pepper would discourage the squirrels from stripping and a pesticide to kill the bugs. The cost is $100.00 per tree.

I would do this, but I want to make sure before spending so much money that this treatment addresses the problem. Seems to me that the squirrels did most of the damage in the spring. So, maybe I should wait till next spring to have the trees treated. Also, I am assuming that the trees get their nutrients from the bark. The arborist didn't say that the trees would get fed from this treatment. Or, is the needle loss coming from bugs?

I would appreciate any guidance offered on here.

Comments (6)