SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winstoneurope

Pinus densiflora Golden Ghost problems

winstoneurope
14 years ago

Hi all,

for 3 years in a row I have been having some problems with the Pinus densiflroa 'Golden Ghost' cultivar. The first year I bought a few 3-4 year old plants I observed some browning on the needles around August. Eventually some 60-80% of the needles went brown. The plants survived however and the new shoots next year were perfect. Since then I haven't had any problems with those plants.

However last year I observed the same problem on a few young plants (new grafts) also around August. The grafts went well in the spring, got replanted after a few months and everything was fine until August again when the needles started to go brown. Again - mostly 60-80% of them. Not all needles were fully brown - some had partly brown partly green needles. Eventually some of the plants died. Very few had no problems at all - they all grew in the same place. I replanted them again this year - and the new shoots are all right. Zero problems.

This happened on the Golden Ghost cultivar, and to a much lesser extent on Oculus Draconis (also small plants).

This year I'm having the same problem. Last week - the browning came back on the new Golden Ghost grafts.

Now, I do have a theory what is causing the problem, but I would like to hear your opinions first ;-)

Has anyone had a similar problem with Golden Ghost, Oculus Draconis, Burke's Red Variegated, Rainbow or any other of the similar densiflora cultivars?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths