SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Fig breaking dormancy- too soon?

sunnibel7 Md 7
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new to posting here, but I have enjoyed all the great advice from all the great "fig gurus" here! This was my first winter with my fig trees, so I'm not too sure what to expect. My Italian Honey is breaking dormancy while my other 2 figs are not. How quickly will it come into leaf? My basement is about 45 degrees F and light comes in 1 tiny window on the north side, so I'm hoping maybe that will keep things happening slowly enough for the weather to warm a bit. Actually, when should I put my little figs out? Should I be thinking about day time temps more or night time temps? So many questions... :)

Also, I boldly root trimmed my Negronne after reading much info. here on the subject! (Scary!)I read that the tree should now be "secured to the pot" to allow the fine roots to grow without breakage... does this mean just a stick in the pot to help it or are we talking some sort of other structure? I just spent days looking at everyone's pictures and saw nary a tree actually anchored to a pot, so I'm thinking just a stake should work. But then again I saw very, very few trees with even that much in the pot with them! Thanks so much!

Sunni

Comments (4)