SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuddywhiffer

Fig cuttings sprouting figs

16 years ago

I got some fig cuttings, with buds, just last week and put them into very coarse sand in 2 litre pop bottles (top cut off, with drainage holes and with a newspaper sheet at the bottom, inside the bottle to trap the sand, and to show state of wetness as I look in). I put them in a deep covered clear plastic box (14 inches deep, by 14, by 20) with wet paper towels in the bottom at one side away from the bottles, and air holes, and set it over a house radiator with 80+ degrees F inside (thermometer). The box leaks air, and dries out fairly quickly, so I spritz about four times a day, so that I can see water droplets on the inside top of the box, but I do not yet need to water the cuttings as the paper at the bottom inside the bottle, is still clearly damp.

This method seems to work much better for me than the baggie method, as all cuttings sprouted after less than 1 week, but I do not yet see roots.

Most of the cuttings are not only putting out leaves, but tiny figs about one eighth to one quarter inch diameter so far.

My question (at last), is how to take off these little figs? Do I twist them off (they hold like grim death), or cut them off, and when should I do this?

Comments (5)