SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riconiferman

Shade tolerant conifer understory?

riconiferman
13 years ago

I am in the process of planting an understory in my backyard. It has medium to heavy shading from two 60 foot White Ash trees and one 60 foot Norway Maple (the largest of the 3). I also have five 6-7 foot tall River Birches that eventually will shade the area in question as well once they get larger. I am thinking of trying a conifer understory and was debating between either Taxus baccata repandens, or Microbiota decussata. I am very aware that planting anything under a Norway Maple is challenging, so I am willing to supplement with additional water until whatever I plant is established.

There is an area at a university nearby (University of Rhode Island) that has Microbiota used as an understory around a Kwanzan cherry, so I confident it is possible and it has some shade tolerance. It looks super-nice in that setting. And Taxus baccata 'repandens' is the only yew that I like.

Any other suggestions? I am going for plants which would be an understory, and not things which would eventually be trees.

Anyone have experience with either of these plants in shade?

Comments (15)