SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Doing the impossible

texjagman
14 years ago

OK, now we're going to get really tough.

I have a pretty good sized oval raised bed in front of our house, measuring about 20' across and 30 plus long. As we have gotten more and more into conifers and began dotting them around other areas of our home, I have become less and less happy with this bed. It currently has a mature full canopied three trunk river birch in the center. It is surrounded by misc plants and flowering shrubs that live in the dappled sunlight from the tree. And here's the tough part.....it is on the West side of my house, getting morning shade and the rest of the day full hot sun.

Oklahoma has winters typically hovering around freezing with a few 10-20 for lows, and summers in the 90's with a week or two at or over 100. Our humidity would be classified as medium to fairly high. All making this a tough climate for conifers. And our soil is red clay.

So I am going to completely gut this bed, making it a clean slate. I'm wanting opinions on a few really outstanding specimens I can anchor this new bed with that have a decent chance to survive under these conditons. I'll worry about companion plants later. I am particularly fond of blues ( and we have surprisingly good luck growing picea pungens here ), variegated colors, and unusual shape combinations. Since it is in front of the home I'm wanting it to be a visual feast for the eyes and I really don't care much about the cost. But I also want them to have a chance to grow.

So if you had access to any conifers, what would you put in there.......provide pics of your sugestions if you have them.

thx Mark

Comments (4)