SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irene_dsc

Met with an arborist today...

irene_dsc
16 years ago

So, we met with an arborist today. That was fun - we've worked together on a few projects, starting with where I needed a tree preservation survey, another where we needed tree removal, etc. But, this is the first time I've actually met him. We have a dead tree that needs to get removed, and I also wanted to pick his brain about what else we have and what might need to get done. Also, I was concerned about planting near my big tree in the backyard.

Turns out, my big tree is a cherry tree! It should be blooming soon - I'm looking forward to that. We also figured out I have a peony on the side of the house, that has some buds already, so I'm really excited about that! I did get confirmation that we have a couple of buckthorn that we need to get rid of - one of them is intertwined with my big crabapple bush, so that will be an interesting project! I'll have to crawl in there and prune the buckthorn out, probably soon so I have some blooms to help me figure out which is which more easily.

I did get the blessing to put about 6" of cardboard plus other stuff where I want to underplant my cherry tree, thank goodness.

I also found out I have an Arrowwood Viburnum, two Euonymus trees (not winged Euonymus/burning bush, but related), and a couple of Siberian Elms that should probably go. My huge Norway Maple does need some attention, but he thinks it has a good 10 years left to it, with some care. He also thinks I can safely leave my big pine tree next to the house, so it's up to me whether to get rid of it or not.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/Irene_DSC/IMG_4298.jpg

Shows the front of house with Norway maple, but you can't really see the dead tree or pine.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/Irene_DSC/IMG_4286.jpg

Shows the cherry tree (last August) and crabapple/buckthorn back in the corner. That's the corner where I want to make my "secret garden" enclosing the cherry tree.

Can I just say, I'm so excited to know what I have!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored