SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Yeah! Grant came through

11 years ago

Well folks, it's official, 5400 conifer seedlings will indeed be getting planted on my land next spring, thanks to my successful application for a DNR grant which will help achieve this. As this is a relatively large project this time around, at least by the standards of what I've done there previously, a "tree planter" will be used. 6 acres will be planted at a target stocking rate of 900 seedlings per. Species will consist of red pine, Norway spruce, and hybrid larch, assuming I am able to source sufficient quantities of the latter. If not, substitutions or adjustments will be made.

This will come close to finishing off the remaining open land. Not quite, but close. It is also my intention to have the existing species in my woods continue their climb up the field into the plantation area.

The farmer I rent the open land to planted corn this year. I didn't really want the field opened up for that but the forester with whom I work said this would actually be advantageous to getting the big planting off to a good start, in that corn is a clean crop that leaves the field in good shape for planting...as he stated it, giving you a year of weed control, so to speak. Prior to this, it had all been alfalfa, which as anyone who has tried to deal with that stuff knows, is a very tough competitor to baby trees. The corn was "Roundup Ready" type, so no other potentially problematic herbicides were used. I know there's much legitimate debate about those kinds of crops, but within the narrow focus of this project, it is helpful that this type of seed was used.

I'm pumped! With budget cuts, etc, including a governor and state legislature that aren't into that "nature stuff", I'd feared this entire program would get axed. So doubly glad to have this go through. Very excited indeed.

+oM

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus