SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sakura28

Fat Albert Blue Spruce questions

sakura28
14 years ago

Hello -

It is deathly hot in CT now (though perhaps not as hot as other areas, so I shouldn't complain), and not the best time for planting ... but a nearby nursery was having a sale and I picked up a beautiful Fat Albert Blue Spruce for $ 35. It is very healthy looking, beautiful color, and considering that I haven't seen one for less than $ 100 around here (in the last 4 years), but closer to $ 200, I couldn't pass it up.

I have 3 questions.

1. Can/should I just keep it in it's pot until it's a bit cooler and plant it then, or should I go ahead and plant it now ?

2. It is about 3' tall, and, as I said, healthy looking, beautiful, etc., but one side near the bottom isn't quite as full as the other side. That's the side at the nursery that was backed against other trees/shrubs. So is this just a result of a lack of even sunlight for the tree & will it eventually fill out evenly ? It's not horribly looking or anything, and I am not setting it out in the center of the lawn as a centerpiece, it's part of the back of a border with flowers in front. It will have full, uninterupted sun. I am just wondering as I don't know anything about conifers.

3. I am putting this tree on an island bed at the front corner of our property. It's something to spruce up the corner and add privacy, plus giving passers-by more to look at than our windows. I already have a "Royal Star' magnolia, along with some moonbeam coreopsis, catmint, shasta daisies, and black-eyes susans. I was going to plant the Fat Albert about 10 feet away from the magnolia. Is this adequate spacing ? I tend to get paranoid about spacing and carry my measuring tape with me, but then I see landscapers planting things much more closely together than I thought you were supposed to, and I wonder if I am overly concerned and ignorant, being new at this.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may give.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor