SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Two Project ideas from last year working out well this this year

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Remember the lily project from late last spring? I think I had about 175 lilies that I ordered, maybe more can't remember. These I planted in some of the daylily beds between the daylilies. Asiatic Lilies, my idea was that they would bloom before the daylilies. But since I planted them late they both bloomed at the same time last year.

This year those lilies are really doing great. Came up nicely and are soon ready to bloom.

This is the Korth bed with the lilies in there between the daylilies. I will be posting pictures when they come into bloom.

And this is backyard late bloomers row.

The second thing I tried to put into effect last year was to plant zinnia seedlings in between the daffodils in the belgium block terraces in the front yard. But I messed that up but good! I hadn't taken into account that the daff folliage would flop over and it just covered up the zinnias.

This year I learned from my mistake and waited intil the daff folliage flopped over and then I planted the zinnias. Just pushed the folliage aside if need be.

Zinnia seedlings.

Some more seedlings planted. Ignore the slug damage, I put out Sluggo.

I also planted zinnia seedlings along the top terrace on the otyher side where I have daffs again and also tulips. The tulips folliage is totally dried up and the daff folliage is laying down, I just pushed some aside to make spaces for planting.

So these spaces work for two successionas of bloom. Bulb bloms early spring and zinnias after until the late Fall. I wanted that last year but this year it will work for sure.

Comments (5)