SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhine59

Favorite reason to garden?

rhine59
21 years ago

This might be a silly thread but I thought I would share my story. I have one sole reason for gardening and one alone and that is my wife. Every year when the catalog's would come out we would spend many winter nights by the fireplace browsing through them and planning our flower beds. Last year, I noticed that she wasn't as enthused as usual and didn't seem to have her heart into our annual project. I proceeded as normal, growing all of our flowers from seed, keeping them going throughout the late Winter and early Spring and planning out the planting. Finally in late April/early May she asked me if I would dig out a new bed off of our deck which is right outside our kitchen window. I happily obliged thinking that she was finally getting into it! Then, in late May she told me that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and that was the reason for her lack of interest. She didn't want to tell me earlier because she knew how much we enjoyed the deciding on the seeds, starting them indoors, etc. and didn't want to spoil it for me. After a year of chemo. and breast removal she is now doing fine and appears as though she is out of the woods. She has told me that she wanted the new garden as she felt it would be the last one she could view without having to move around too much and wanted something to remember us by. I cannot fathom a person keeping their possible passing to themselves just so another can enjoy their normal life! Anyway, I will keep that bed going come good or bad as a testament to my wife and fill it with nothing other than her favorites. Sorry for rambling!

Comments (26)

Sponsored