SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

Hostas anyone?

north53 Z2b MB
17 years ago

I know I should post this on the hosta forum, but no one there is from the north.

Anyway there was a storm forecast yesterday, and I ran out to take pics of some hostas in case we got hail (we didn't) and before the onslaught of the slugs which I am sure are coming. The hostas have been enjoying all the moisture this spring and I'm enjoying looking at them.

{{gwi:708215}}

This is Minuteman

{{gwi:708217}}

Sharmon

{{gwi:708218}}

A young Thunderbolt

{{gwi:708219}}

I don't know the name of this one, but I really like it. It is growing under a huge birch tree and is thriving.

Comments (13)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Oh, they are all gorgeous! I especially like Thunderbolt. Once it gets huge, it'll be an awesome specimen. I finally started writing down some of the names of plants I have into a list, and have found out that I have more varieties of hostas than any other plant category. Is there a hosta's anonymous group somewhere?!

Ok, here it goes.

From left to right; Elegans, Guacamole, Royal Standard
    {{gwi:696992}}

Birchwood Parky's Gold and Francee

Sum & Substance in the background with Gold Standard, who I believe has the dreaded hosta virus. But since it's only spread by the sap, I think I'll leave it as the variagation is kind of cool on it.

Honeybells(fragrant white flowers)
    {{gwi:697488}}

Hyacinthina
    {{gwi:697490}}

Great Expectations
    {{gwi:696990}}

Fire and Ice

The biggest of the 6 Elegans that I have

Paul's Glory
    {{gwi:700136}}

Francee

Golden Tiara
    {{gwi:696988}}

The one on the left is some sort of Aureomarginata, the large one in the middle is Blue Boy(I think) and the little one is Albopicta

Laurie

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow Laurie, you do have a lovely selection! I really like that Great Expectations. Is Honeybells as yellow as it appears? I like it as well.
    I have some of the same, Royal Standard (my first), Aureomarginata, Francee and Fire and Ice. In all 20 hostas, plus my baby seedlings that all appear to be solid green, but they do have different leaf shape.

I am freaked out by the dreaded virus though. I purchased a Gold Standard last year which looked suspect, but so far I haven't pulled it out. It looks okay this year, but apparently the virus can go dormant or something. But now I am very cautious about what and where I buy. Anyway, do I need more hosta? I actually went so far as to make a list to order from Floral and Hardy, but changed my mind. Right now I don't even know where I could fit in another hosta.
    As soon as I typed that, I thought of a place I could fit one in. It really is a sickness.

• Related Discussions

Deep fried hosta anyone?

Q

Comments (21)
    I'm crying right along with you. The same thing happened to my 1 year old tokudama, and to my Bridegroom. Lower leaves all fried, completely brown. Even though I had watered the night before, the rootzone was again dry. 106 temps are hard to work with for hostas. I cut off the dry leaves and the unfortunate plants are now sitting in buckets of water. I'm a working woman, I can't just hang around the house and water the hostas. I told hubby to, but somehow he forgot. This sucks. Lainey
    ...See More

White Hostas, anyone growing these?

Q

Comments (19)
    i think i have fire and ice as well, not really sure. But i have whatever i have both in full sun and part shade. The one in full sun has almost white centers with green and the fringes. Here it is in full sun. here it is in shade. the center is more green. The are both solid green in the spring and as the season goes along, it does get more pale or white in the center - more so in the sun. is this a fire and ice hosta?
    ...See More

Stiletto hosta picks anyone?

Q

Comments (7)
    I like the flowers on it too! I have found with these that they can be a problem from TC, like all stoloniferous Hostas they can have a habit of dividing and dividing and never maturing properly, but if yours are flowering sounds like they have grown on well. Hosta Little Wonder too has really good purple flowers.
    ...See More

4 new hosta's - Anyone growing these?

Q

Comments (22)
    What a big list Josephines, I think I have a small or medium red stalked (petioled) hosta, but, you can't really see the red on it. I love the Stephen King so far, I have had to stake it, though. Steve, my Stephen King is in all shade under my Pin oak, it MAY get a few rays of sun through the branches, but, really it's under the branches a good bit, so I'm guessing all shade. I have never received a Hosta that big, usually when I get a Hosta I get the smallest bit of the plant. Mostly super tiny, my plant of the Empress Wu was so tiny, I can't imagine that little piece ever being huge. I guess that the Stephen King is maybe not ever small? But, then again, if I'd have placed my order in spring, the division may have been much smaller. ANYWAY, it's a nice division, and it shows just how nice and impressive the SK Hosta is.
    ...See More
  • sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

These are all lovely hostas that you all have. I am also a hosta nut....There most certainly is a hosta anonymous....its right here.....we will anonymously make you want EVEN MORE HOSTAS.....haha

You guys are ahead of me in pics.....I haven't had a chance to take pic of my hostas yet. This year they are huge, and I see I have a smaller one in behind a couple of huge ones. How did that happen?.......now I am going to have to fix that....maybe this fall.

I am not, I am not, I am not going to buy anymore hostas.......;-) :O

Sierra

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Yes Sierra, I really believe that hostas are contagious! Or like the old Lays chips commercials say,"I bet ya can't have just one!"

Honeybells is quite yellow, like in the picture. It's in full sun, so I'm not sure what the colouring would be like in a shady spot. I love the variagation on Great Expectations too, but it's a really slow grower. I've had that plant for at least 5 years and it's not very big.

The only one I picked up this year is Frances Williams to replace the one that died last year. So I think I've shown exceptional restraint!lol

I did a lot of reading up on the hosta virus last week, and I've come to the conclusion, that for me, I'll keep my Gold Standard for now. I won't be moving or dividing or trading it to chance getting any of the sap on another hosta. So there's very little chance of it spreading to other hostas. If you ever have a few hours to kill, just do a search for hosta virus x on the hosta forum!lol

Here's one thread that was quite an interesting read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why do virused hosta increase?

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Laurie,

Quite the thread you found about the virused hosta. I just skimmed it. Will go back and read it thoroughly someday.

Do you know where you received your virused hosta?

Brenda (who never even heard of viruses in hostas before this thread)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Brenda I've had that hosta for a few years now, but I think it came from Botanus. I made a large hosta order from them, and I'm pretty sure that Gold Standard was from that order. When I placed the order, it was long before I had ever heard of HVX. Every now and then, I do go and check out the hosta forum and this is where I first heard about it. Basically, I think it's a much bigger problem for the collectors who have hundreds of hostas who divide and move them around a lot. How it started, from what I can gather, is at a hosta growing nursery. They somehow got one virused plant and divided it, not cleaning the tools, and then spread the virused sap on to the next batch, etc.

There's some debate as to the possibility of sap spreading from hosta to hosta by means of deer, rabbits, or whatever eating the infected hosta and then moving on to the next. But this has never been proven to have happened. The only way that the virus is spread is through the sap. So if I leave mine alone, technically it shouldn't affect any of the rest of my hostas. But, I know that some hosta growers may say that I would be unethical by not disposing of the virused hosta. Oh well, if there was a big hosta grower nearby, I would probably change my mind and get rid of it. But until then, I kind of like it ;^)

Laurie

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Oohlala! Good-looking Hostas everyone, here are a few of mine, but please ignore the slug holesÂsorry, I don't have their names but do have them on a map somewhere ;)
    One of my 1001 projects this year is to extend out the shade garden, its just so crowded back there that the bigger shade plants are covering the smaller hostas making them undetectable.

Hosta virus, what's next, many of mine come from Botanus, hopefully I don't have it. Thanks Laurie for the link, I'll have to go read it.

Sharon

{{gwi:708235}}

{{gwi:708238}}

{{gwi:708241}}

{{gwi:708243}}

{{gwi:697498}}

{{gwi:708247}}

According to my Hosta Inventory list, I have these in my garden somewhere ;)

1. H. 'Big Daddy'
    2. H. 'Birchwood Parky's Gold'
    3. H. 'Blue Angel'
    4. H. 'Blue Cadet'
    5. H. 'Brim Cup'
    6. H. 'Francee'
    7. H. 'Ginko Craig'
    8. H. 'Gold Standard'
    9. H. 'Golden Tiara'

1. H. 'Royal Standard'
    2. H. 'Striptease'
    3. H. 'Undulata Albo-marginataÂ
    4. H. 'Wide Brim'
    5. H. 'Christmas Tree'
    6. H. fortunei 'Albopicta'
    7. H. fortunei 'Aureo-marginata'
    8. H. fortunei 'Sharmon'
    9. H. sieboldiana 'Elegans'
    10. H. sieboldiana 'Frances William' (3)
    11. H. tardiana 'Halcyon'
    12. H. ÂSum & SubstanceÂ
    13. H. ÂZager's White EdgeÂ

5 unknown
    = 29 Hostas

• kat3
    17 years ago

Great pics & imfo... Here's a few of mine with a few hail stone holes.. Sorry no names.. Jan

Amazed with these.. Sevivors of a raised flower bed in front of the window.. Where nothing else will over winter..

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    I'm no expert, in fact I hope I'm wrong, but the bottom hosta in your first picture looks similar to the pictures I've seen of the hosta virus x.
    The experts are saying that the virus can be spread by not sterilizing tools when working with hostas, for example, cutting off spent flower scapes. I know I've been guilty of doing that. I hope you're not offended by my observation. Just wanted to warn you so you can protect the rest of your fine collection.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Oops, I posted this same message at the link Laurie provided. Thats what happens when you have 2 windows open. LOL!

Thank you North for pointing that out and of course I am not offended at all, infact I'm grateful, itÂs out of here tomorrow and IÂll make sure IÂll disinfect my shovel after. Of course looking at my map, itÂs not an important one, its an unknown that I've had for awhile so I wonÂt be disappointed to dig it out.
    By observing the HVX link, it does look like it has it. Again, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

By golly, I was reading my Canadian Gardening magazine Summer issue this evening and they have an article on HVX.
    IÂll type it out for you...

Hosta Virus X was discovered in Canada around 2004 (although it had been identified in the U.S. in 1996) and has spread throughout the country. Initially, little attention was given to this incurable virus; some horticulturist and nurseries unknowingly collected and named these "new" unusually mottled (and infected) plants.
    Contracting HVX causes a slow decline in the plantÂs health and can eventually result in death. The symptoms, which may take years to appear, vary. In some plants, thin, wrinkled leaves appear; others will develop foliage with sun-bleached, sunken areas and atypical light or dark green streaks.

HVX is easily transferred through sap. As well, taking cuttings, deadheading or innocuously removing a broken leaf could spread the virus. ThereÂs no cure, so infected plants must be destroyed. Prevention is the best defense: When tending your hostas, sterilize all garden tools, with a 10 percent bleach solution after using on each plant. Investigate your nursery and ask whether they test their plants. A few of the varieties most susceptible to the virus include ÂGold StandardÂ, ÂStriptease and ÂSum and SubstanceÂ.

For more information and photos of infected plants, visit the link below...

North53, IÂm pretty sure that hosta that you pointed out to me did have HVX, this morning I dug it up very carefully not to touch the others around it and threw it in the garbage.

This so called "new disease" sure puts a downer on collecting or growing hostas now, I'm kind of scared to buy anymore ;(

Jan, I love your candle holder in front of your hosta, very creative!

Here is a link that might be useful: HOSTA VIRUS X

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Thanks for that link Sharon, it's very informative. It is a bit concerning to know if I should even try buying any more hostas for awhile. Until all of the suppliers and retailers get on the bandwagon for testing and keeping a clean supply, I probably won't get anymore. It's probably the best thing to not deadhead, cut off leaves or divide any of the hostas I have gotten in the last 4 years, because that's how long it can take for a plant to show symptoms, which is the really scary part. I do want to divide up Golden Tiara to put around the pond, but I've had that one for 6 years, so it shouldn't be infected.

The hosta industry will definitely suffer from this one, and I wonder if prices aren't going to go up because of the virus?

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I only heard about the virus last year after I had planted a new batch from Botanus. I was very concerned about the appearance of the Gold Standard, so I emailed Botanus and asked them what they were doing to protect their customers from receiving infected hostas. Their reply was that they hadn't even heard of such a virus and they receive their hostas from the U.S. I was not reassured by that response.

The concensus on the hosta forum seems to be that diseased hostas are still being sold by the truck load at the big box stores, so I don't see this getting under control anytime soon.

It certainly takes the fun out of collecting new hostas for me though. At least I want to know that the supplier is aware of the problem.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz