SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southdakotadaylily

I am done - giving remaining seeds away

southdakotadaylily
16 years ago

Ok, I am done with my seeds for this year.

I have room set aside for 1,000 seedlings in a bed. I now have 2,000 seeds that germinated. 400 germinated this week.

I still have about 1,000 seeds that have not yet sprouted; they are in wet paper towels inside Ziploc bags.

(Last fall I made the mistake of letting the seeds dry for one month  I was told to make sure the seeds are dry so they donÂt mold).

They have been in the bags for about a month now; I did not expect many more to germinate, wrong 400 sprouted this week.

So, I have a choice, either throw the remaining seeds in the garbage, or give them away.

This is my first year growing seeds, so I am going to give them away. If no one wants them, then in the trash they will go.

I have no idea for the germination rate for the remaining seeds. Actually I consider all of you to be family, and I donÂt want anyone to get mad at me and say "He gave me some seeds and none germinated", so I am going to give these seeds away for free, including the mail cost. I will pay the postage if anyone wants these seeds. I would rather these seeds found a home rather than the garbage.

The only thing I ask is you give these seeds a chance to germinate, and then plant ones that germinate. (You can tell I love daylilies). If you want to just plant them in the ground and see what comes up, that is fine too. =)

Each bag contains somewhere between 1 and 100 seeds. I make no guarantees on these seeds (except your money back if not satisfied). =)

Pollen Parent Pod Parent # of bags

Stella De Oro Just Plum Happy 1

PandoraÂs box Stella De Oro 5

Autumn Red Scentual Sundance 1

Stella De Oro Opportunity 1

Autumn Red Just Plum Happy 1

Stella De Oro Kruegerand Encore 1

Stella De Oro PandoraÂs box 1

Stella De Oro Scentual Sundance 1

Stella De Oro Pardon Me 1

South Seas Stella De Oro 1

Autumn Red Stella De Oro 1

Apricot Sparkles Stella De Oro 1

Pardon Me Stella De Oro 1

Red Hot Returns Stella De Oro 3

Always Afternoon Bela Lugosi 1

Imperial Lemon Bela Lugosi 1

Imperial Lemon Always Afternoon 1

I think I will do first reply- first serve. Let me know which bags you want.

If you read this post and do not want any, please just type "pass" for a reply.

After replying to this post, you can send your name and mailing address to: geosdsu@hotmail.com

I realize some of you read through the list, and you are thinking "ugh what horrible crosses" Â I will reply this was my first attempt, and this is what I had to work with; but for someone new like me, this might be a fun, free chance to grow some daylilies from seed.

This chapter of my seed growing experience has come to an end tonight,

George

Comments (37)

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

I would love to try some:

Always Afternoon Bela Lugosi

• davemichigan
    16 years ago

Wow, thank you so much in advance, George. I am also new to daylily. I want to start my collection, so I am buying some this year and hope to grow some from seed also.

Can I have the following (if you think I have asked too many, just give me one or two).

Red Hot Returns Stella De Oro
    PandoraÂs box Stella De Oro
    Always Afternoon Bela Lugosi

In return, I can keep good record and show you or the forum the pictures if/when I get the blooms. That is quite a while away though.

Many thanks again!

• okbt
    16 years ago

I will try some too. Here are my main interests from your list, but any would be fine.
    Stella De Oro Pardon Me 1
    South Seas Stella De Oro 1
    Autumn Red Stella De Oro 1
    Apricot Sparkles Stella De Oro 1
    Pardon Me Stella De Oro 1
    Red Hot Returns Stella De Oro 3

Thanks,George!

Betsy

• sunstar07
    16 years ago

I would like to try some.
    AnImperial Lemon Bela Lugosi 1
    Imperial Lemon Always Afternoon 1
    Autumn Red Just Plum Happy 1
    Stella De Oro Just Plum Happy 1
    Stella De Oro Scentual Sundance 1
    Stella De Oro Opportunity 1

Thanks for sharing.

• albertar
    16 years ago

I would be interested in any you are willing to share. I appreciate the offer and can be contacted through gw and I can send an sasbe right out to you.
    Alberta

• southdakotadaylily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sunstar07 please send me your mailing address.

I have received a number of emails requesting seeds, so I will update later today on what seeds I have left.

This is fun!

George

• joyful_grower
    16 years ago

Hi George!! What a wonderful thing you are doing!! I will take whatever you'd like to give me that'd be good for zone 5. Lois

• fillygirl
    16 years ago

Got any purple ones?? I am new so I don't know what names go with what color. I will pot up any you send me. I love lilies but especially Daylilies!

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Hi George,
    Add me to list of seed seekers too. I would be thrilled with any seeds you have enough to share with me. This was my first year at growing seeds and most of mine I bought off the L.A.

I have a seed mat and plenty of room and can keep records on them too if you would like.

I'm not particular, if it blooms I'll love it.
    I'm sending you an email right this minute.
    Thanks for sharing your bounty with everyone. I understand the part when enough is enough for now.

Best Regards, and Happy Gardening, Marian

• sunstar07
    16 years ago

Hi George

I emailed my address.
    Thanks

• opnjmprs
    16 years ago

George,
    BIG SMILE. I pass, but it was very nice of you to share your excess with others. Best of luck with the ones that you are growing out. Linda

• southdakotadaylily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fairysoapgirl, Dave, Betsy, and Mark -- Mailed your seeds today -1st class mail.

Sunstar, Lois, and Cynthia -- your seeds will go out in tomorrow's mail.

Alberta, Joyful grower, fillygirl, and lovelyiris/marian - I need your mailing addresses.

Well my seeds are all gone. Good luck with them.

George

• joyful_grower
    16 years ago

George
    Thank you Thank you Thank you. I assume I am the Lois you sent seeds too. I didn't think to give you my screen name!!! Joyful_grower. I will email you again just in case. I will let you know how things go and hopefully a pic or two!!! Lois

• sunstar07
    16 years ago

George
    Thanks. I will let you know when I receive them.
    Thanks for sharing.

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Thanks George!
    I will be looking for them in the mail...and I'll be sure to post how things go!

• laughaha
    16 years ago

I'll take a baggie of whatever no one else wants, if it blooms I will love it. Thanks!!!! Sending an email right now

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

I am sending you my address again. Thanks for posting you still need it.
    Marian

• southdakotadaylily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alberta, Joyful Grower, and Marian - Your seeds went out in today's mail.

I have one bag left. Pandora's box x Stella de Oro.
    Filly Girl and Laughaha both have requested it.But neither have sent me your mail address. I am not sure what to do.

George

• fillygirl
    16 years ago

George I am not sure how to send my address in a private e-mail but I really want those seeds! tell me how and I will send my address ASAP!

• southdakotadaylily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Fillygirl.

Do you have an email account?
    My email address is: geosdsu@hotmail.com
    Just write your name and address in an email and send it to me, and I will put your seeds in tomorrow's mail.

George

• fillygirl
    16 years ago

Thanks so much George! Oh by the way, can you tell me which ones you are sending me? That way if they do sprout I can get an idea of what they may end up looking like two years from now when they bloom! Thanks!

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Hi George... got my seeds yesterday in the mail... we'll see how it goes! Thanks!

• davemichigan
    16 years ago

George, I have received mine last Saturday. Thank you very much for your generosity!

• sunstar07
    16 years ago

George
    I received your seeds today in mail. Couple of them have already sprouted.
    Thanks for sharing.

• joyful_grower
    16 years ago

George,
    I too have received your seeds in todays mail. Thank you again for sharing them. I have already potted them. Now I'll say some prayers and cross my fingers! Thanks again.

• dlpasti
    16 years ago

Hey George---if you happen to have any left, I'd love to add some to the lily garden I started last fall.

D

• southdakotadaylily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fairy Soap, Dave, Sunstar, and Joyful grower you are welcome!

I am out of seeds for now. Thanks for all the kind emails.

But...This hobby is very addicting...So I will have more seeds to give away next spring.

Enjoy everyone! and happy gardening.

• okbt
    16 years ago

My seeds arrived today and are potted up.Thanks,George!
    Betsy

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

George, you'll be happy to know... three sprouted so far.

:o)

• albertar
    16 years ago

Hi George
    My seeds arrived in today's mail. Thanks ever so much, will update when they sprout.
    Alberta

• memphistigerlily
    16 years ago

Hello, I'm a newbie here. Someone locally refered me to the TN forum and now I have found my way over here as I have an extreem love of lilies. Not only am I a newbie to this website I am a newbie to gardening. I purchased my first house a couple years ago, and in the process of trying to spruce up the outside I discovered i love gardening. I was trilled to see my lilies come back the following spring!

If you have anymore seeds left I would LOVE to give them a nice home in my beds!!! Anykind will do :o) I can email you my address!

• fillygirl
    16 years ago

I got my seeds yesterday in the mail. Thanks George! Now I just need to look for pics of Stella and Pandora's box! 8 have sprouted so far and If I am lucky the others will too! Thanks George! I will update when I get them potted and they put up shoots.

• albertar
    16 years ago

George
    Just wanted to update you on the seeds you sent, some were sprouting when I received them, (did a happy dance seeing those) the others are starting now to come up too, so I'm doubly dancing, :)
    Alberta

• ladydonna
    16 years ago

Hi George
    I am new to planting daylilies from seed,,,just started at the beginning of this year. I love it! Anything you have left over I would love to have! If you are all out (sigh) I understand! Have a good day! I am emailing you now in case there are leftovers still.

• fillygirl
    16 years ago

I have had the seeds potted up for a bit now. When I got them I think 8 had begun to get rootlets. Now I have several sprouts and if you look at my photobucket you can see what they look like!

• albertar
    16 years ago

Hi George
    I've been offline for 2 weeks without a computer. All the seeds you sent minus one or two germinated, are now potted up and waiting to be planted. I just have to figure out where I'm going to put them, :)
    Alberta

• ventura43
    16 years ago

Hope I'm not too late....

I'll try whatever you have that isn't purple!

Judi