SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ian_bc_north

HAVE: Blue Himalayan poppies

ian_bc_north
18 years ago

I have two blue Himalayan poppies in bloom at this time. None of the other three plants are showing buds at this time. I am told that they are Meconopsis x sheldonii, a cross between M. betonicifolia and M. grandis.

These guys take years to get to flowering size from seed.

The principle difficulty with Meconopsis is that the seed has short viability. In fact the advice I have from my propagation book is to sow as soon as they ripen, or store seeds dry in the refrigerator and sow in early spring.

I stumbled across Gardenweb this year and have had no experience with the garden exchange. I am afraid that I have not really thought through the business of exchange lists.

At this time I would like to see if there is any interest in seed from my Meconopsis or if I should deadhead the blooms after petal drop as I did in previous years.

If there were interest I would appreciate helpful suggestions on collecting & shipping the seed.

Due to the short viability of the seed I suspect that arrangements would have to be made before the seed ripens. There is also the problem of counting on seed before the flowers have even finished blooming.

I am posting this in both the Canadian Garden Exchange and Far North forums.

Ian

Meconopsis x sheldonii

{{gwi:685667}}

Comments (11)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions