SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Changes to the Terraces Garden this year.

15 years ago

Fall of 2007 I had these terraced garden beds done in the hill near the kitchen door. I posted lots of pictures of that terrace garden last year. Early spring 2008 all I had in it were the daylily rows up on top of level four (of four levels). Then I planted it in spring. Even though it looked great last year, I did make some planting mistakes and I am working on it again this year. The first thing I did was move the very back row of daylilies in the 2nd terrace, which were planted up against the back wall to the third (all much taller) terrace. Third terrace had stuff hanging down and it did not work. Shaded that entire row of daylilies. So much for planning. My choices were to not have anything hanging down or move those 9 daylilies. I moved the 9 daylilies as I just loved the way it looked up there with three clumps of nasturtiums growing and hanging down the wall.

What I did was just pull some forward and put them into empty spaces in the daylily row just before it. Had lots of empty spots as I left lots of spots to plant zinnias last year. Some of you might remember the pictures of the daylilies blooming amounst the zinnias. Bad idea as the zinnias got overgrown, much too tall and flopped over the daylilies in front of them. No zinnias going there this year. I plan to fill in with marigolds, which stay much shorter (at least the type I buy do).

I am plotting on a new zinnia garden as I have some excellent ideas if I can just get it done. The grass just keeps right on dissapearing around here. Maybe lawn should be considered an endangered spieces. At least it is around here.

So there is also now a path in that back right by the wall, which will be good until the nasturtiums hang down again. Of course, its too early to plant nasturtiums.

So 5 of the nine got pulled forward and the other four went into the new planter box in the front yard. Another Emmerich intro from another bad spot went there to complete the section of five in the front yard. The two Paul Owen intros and one Don Herr intro were amoung the ones moved forward with Emmerich intros, FEAR NOT and SOUL ON FIRE (neither of which I wanted out of this garden right near my backdoor.

I had some blanket flowers planted in this bed last year, died over winter and some dwarf Catmint that I moved out of there last fall because it was too short and I just did not like the way that it looked. So I am going to be doing some filling in.

I did order 8 Butterfly Weed today. These are the orange flowered lower types (as compaired to white or pink flowered much taller Milkweeds). These were planned to go there last year but I tried to order to late and they were out. So in they go this year. Need my butterfly attractors and host plants for Monarch butterflies :-)). Plus I just love the orange blooms on the Milkweeds in midsummer. They are kinda lacy looking plants too and in my opinion quite attractive.

Going to just use Verbena in the sections of terrace one between the daylilies and leave the marigolds (there last year) for one section up. I am looking at getting Siberian Iris

(which would bloom before daylily time) and currently trying to decide if I want to put some in terrace one between the five daylily clumps in that section or just only put the siberian iris in the garden upstairs that I called the cosmos garden last year. That garden is going to need lots more work this year too. It never ends.

Comments (6)