SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindseya_gw

near complete daffodil failure?

lindseya
15 years ago

I have had a stunning disaster with my daffodils this year and am wondering if anyone else has had any trouble. In the autumn of 2007 I planted about 100 daff bulbs in my front yard and had a fantastic display this time last year, 2008. I bought from 4 sources, all labeled white petals and orange trumpets. They all came up with yellow petals and orange trumpets. Obviously there was some mislabeling, which makes me question the quality of the bulbs themselves.

I was expecting the same amount of bloom plus more due to naturalization and bulblets.

Right now I have maybe 5-6 blooms in the whole yard. Some of the areas I know I planted have pathetic, stringy little leaves up and no buds. There is one blooming clump of all yellow daffs that I planted several years ago; they are fine and look great. All of my other plants are doing fine: evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs, perennials, grasses, and other bulbs. Is it possible that there was a virus or some other malady that struck? Cheap bulbs? I'm stumped.

Comments (2)