SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Why am i a failure w/tulips? :0(

phylrae
16 years ago

Ok, my husband and I grow GREAT roses (70+) and all kinds of lilies, siberian iris and daffodils successfully.

I KNOW about rodents liking tulips, so I spray or dip them in Ropel every time I try to plant them!

We have clay soil...obviously (I think) I know how to amend soil if I can grow all the others. There is ONE bed I have Angelique and Maywonder (or some purple with the name May in it)...and they have even returned for several years (even though they ARE NOT Darwins!) That bed has asiatic and oriental lilies in it that also thrive.

Two years ago I decided to plant good quality Parrot tulips in a metal trough (about 4 feet off the ground) with I thought enough drainage. The soil was amended topsoil and composted manure I think. The following spring nothing came up, and when I dug I found just rotten bulbs.

Last fall I planted some nice lily bulbs from BuggyCrazy (sprayed w/Ropel) in a side raised, amended bed, but had the same prob...mush this spring. Granted, it can get wet there, but all the daffs next to it do GREAT!

I also planted more some OT lilies from J&P in a raised bed near roses, but they didn't come up...again, mush.

Finally, I had a BIG plastic type tub on my deck, filled it with topsoil and composted manure. Lots of holes in the bottom. I planted per directions. Tried not to overdo bulb food-esp. careful with the nitrogen.

What in the world am I doing wrong. They were all mush in the spring.

I talked with a knowledgeable nursery person at a GOOD nursery today...SHE told me that it shouldn't be a drainage problem, as SHE says she can even plant in clay herself! She thought it was squirrels...but I told her I used Ropel. And I see no evidence of digging. She did tell me that I shouldn't keep the planter outside during the winter...is this due to the snow melting (inadequate drainage?)

I bought some GREAT looking Darwins hybrids, Triumph, Impression and Parrot tulips today. What in the world am I doing wrong?

:0( Phyl

PS I did a search on Gardenweb for rotten tulips, and noticed somebody mentioned the possibility of grubs? We have had a terrible time with Japanese beetles this past year....I put down some grub control a few weeks ago on the ground, but didn't do it in the beds (ran out quick). Pretty expensive stuff and can't find any more locally.

Would grubs turn tulips (but not daffs) to mush?

Comments (11)