SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftlady07_gw

What do you think I should do?

craftlady07
16 years ago

I'm not sure if I should ask this question on the landscaping forum too....but I'll start here.

background: DH and I moved into our house in december. We laid out where we want our flower gardens in the yard (new beds) but other then that, we haven't done anything yet. We were going to get compost this weekend and do the lasagna method in these areas - BUT DH's friend was able to come over with his backhoe and dig out our driveway to put stone down. We expected he'd only scrap off a few inches of topsoil, however we ended up with 2" of good topsoil, enough to cover the beds I think at least 6" deep.

I do not want this soil to go to waste and I'd love to cut down on the amount of material we need to buy. So I can either pull up the sod in the beds and mix this topsoil with a load of compost into the beds by hand (which I don't mind doing) or do the lasagna method with the topsoil as a layer and a layer of compost I suppose. What do you recommend?

2nd question - if I had to choose between peat moss or compost, which would be better? Compost would likely be easier and cheaper, but if peat moss is better, I'd look into that.

Comments (5)

• Vikki1747
    16 years ago

I'd go for less work and do the lasagna method.

I created a bed a few years ago by trenching out the outline of the bed. I then applied roundup(you don't have to use roundup if you don't want to ~ I wanted to make sure the Bermuda grass was not going to be a problem). After about 5 days I put down several layers of dampened newspaper and added compost. It worked great for me.
    Vikki

• angelcub
    16 years ago

I'd definitely use compost instead of peat moss. Peat moss doesn't have any nutrients - it's more for moisture retention and adds some acidity to the soil, if you need it. Make sure you need it or you could change your soil pH too much. Also, peat is a non-renewable resource. If you need something for moisture retention good compost will work wonders.

I can't speak to the lasagna method because I don't do it. We don't get enough rain to break the materials down fast enough. But I do make lots of homemade compost. Everything gets a top dressing of it every spring and fall. If you are buying it, be sure it's not mostly wood product but has a high content of composted manure. Or you could use plain manure mixed into your topsoil (not fresh if you plan on planting right away). Roses love it!

HTH!
    Diana

• eaglesight
    16 years ago

You can do a strip-and-flip job, which is where you shave the top layer of sod off and flip it over before building the lasagna bed on top. This has the benefit of smothering the grass, and allows the grass to break down below the soil, supplying more nutrients for your plants.

You can see the story of how I built a bed in an area of lawn using this method at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: The First Book of the Lasagna Bed

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I think the lasgana layering is the way to go, and I like the strip and flip method eaglesight (Lovely story by the way!!) and I'll get some compost to mix with my top soil....thanks Angelcub! I'll have to look out for somewhere to get manure, I don't know any local farmers.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I went one step further when I dug a strip up along side our gravel driveway, mind you this is not either a long or wide strip. I lifted the sod placed it on a tarp while digging the gravelly soil out sifting it onto a tarp. I put the sod upside down in the bottom of the trench, then filled in with the sifted soil with added compost. I planted a row of daylilies and mulched them with shavings. This spring I dug one of the clumps to give to my DIL and the soil looked like black gold. I just happened to have a new variety just waiting to plunk in the hole :o).

Annette

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living