SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janann_gw

questions about staking and training of conifer

janann
10 years ago

Hi All,

I am a lurker, mostly on the hosta forum. I love the photos and have learned so much. So....we bought four conifers. Two of which are weeping, they are the ones we have questions about. The first is a weeping norway spruce. We were surprised at how small the root ball was when we took it out of the pot. It is planted. Do we need to stake it? And how do we train the top part to keep going up or out, as it is already wanting to bend all the way down at 3 feet. And it is still flexible.

Second conifer is a Picea Orientalis 'Nutans'. Ken did you get my emails? I can't remember what all I wrote. But we planted it at a slight angle to straighten the trunk, was this alright? It is planted at an angle on a slight slope, so there is no extra soil added on top of the root ball. We want it to go up fairly straight. How do we train it to do this, as it has a 35 degree angle right now after being planted at an angle. Before it was at a 45 degree angle with the fact that the trunk came out of the giant pot at and angle and then the additional bend. I hope this all makes sense.

We kept reading information and getting advice and it all conflicted the other. Also...my hubby was told that we needed to trim the branches that are draped on the ground off of the Nutans, and I don't think so, and don't want to. But we want to do what is right. So we would love to hear what we are really supposed to do.

Oh by the way, the other two conifers were easy and are planted and seem quite happy. :)

Thanks! J

Comments (11)