SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Starting new daylily beds in New Orleans area

jockewing
14 years ago

My mom used to have tons of daylilies growing around all the trees in our backyard growing up. I never lost that memory, and I still have some of her original daylilies in my own garden now.

Due to my work schedule, I really don't have time to spend with finicky plants. In my experience, daylilies are a breeze and are so easy to grow. I am slowly replacing the more tempermental plants in my gardens with daylilies, and have been buying some named varieties. My mom's daylilies were the old fashioned yellow and tawny orange variety. I literally left some uprooted plants in a bucket on the side of my house for several weeks and they still bloomed that year when I got around to replanting.

My questions: Are these named daylilies as hardy as the old-fashioned types? What's the best way to go about starting a bed? I am in the New Orleans area--have acidic clay soil (yuck!), but I'm willing to amend.

I am just as interested in the beauty of the foliage as the flowers. What are some robust and large leafy varieties for the Gulf Coast?

Can anyone tell me if there are daylily farms in the N.O. area to visit?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH