SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

Balance and/or repetition in the landscape

louisianagal
13 years ago

Well I am finally getting my yard (3/4 acre lot) fairly filled with plantings and I thought I was pretty happy with it. The front is pretty well balanced while not exactly symmetrical, there are nandinas throughout, and several pink KO roses sort of running thru the rest of the shrubs. In the back, I first had a sort of haphazard mixed shrub border with perennials in the very back "ridge" area, becoz I didn't want the sort of standard "everything symmetrical" look. But then it did not look balanced. So in the fall I moved several things around to more repeat and balance them. It is not exactly symmetrical but, for example, there is a holly on either side of the forsythia clump, and the ornamental grasses and spirea are more evenly dispersed. Next, I have a mixed shrub border with perennials on the left and right sides of the (back) yard. And I am just noticing that there is no repetition on the left vs right side of the yard. Either side is pretty by itself, but it just looks off. Now I am in a sort of panic and want to move shrubs around to sort of balance it; not exact replicas by any stretch, but some of the same shrubs on each side. What is your take on this sort of thing, how do you arrange your landscape, and Why Can't I Ever Get it Right the First Time???

Laurie

Laurie

Comments (11)

Sponsored