SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Please show me pics of your daylily gardens

jockewing
14 years ago

I am in the process of re-doing many of my garden beds and have decided to use lots of daylilies. As a single person that commutes to work, I don't have a lot of time for plants that need babying. In my experience daylilies are virtually bulletproof, and I think they are so beautiful.

Please post pics of your daylily gardens in bloom so I can get some ideas for my yard. Thanks!

Also, and recommendations for DL's that do good in the New Orleans area? I am interested in ones with nice looking foliage that get big and robust.

Comments (21)

• sann777
    14 years ago

I have lots of flower beds but this shape works the best for deadheading daylilies daily
    {{gwi:684049}}

• sann777
    14 years ago

I will list some of my favorite (of approx. 200) daylilies
    I have: Ruffled Perfection, Rebecca Marie, Vanilla Fluff,
    Corinthian Pink, Country Music Queen, Elizabeth Salter, Almond Puff, Alabama Jubilee, Jan Johnson, Inherited Wealth. None of these are very expensive. I love a lot of Joiners daylilies and I have quite a few of Stamile's.
    I don't know what will work the best where you are. Good Luck.

• Related Discussions

Show me pics of your built-in fridge with custom panels, please

Q

Comments (0)
    I've been through the finished kitchen blog, but don't see many! Maybe because they are disguised! I'm contemplating pull size and placement... Thanks in advance.
    ...See More

Dishes on your walls? Show me your pics, please.

Q

Comments (3)
    Eliza, I love the colors in this room, the table and chairs look beautiful, you did a great job!!! mclark, this is a great idea! One question though, one of my plates is shaped like a long tray and is a little heavy. I am wary of hanging it on those little gold stretchy plate hangers. Do you think I should find something like Eliza has her plates hanging on instead? Thanks for taking the time to help me out!
    ...See More

please show me pics of your screened in proches!

Q

Comments (4)
    I used this when I rescreened my old porch last year. Before that it was just screen stapled to 2x4s covered with strips of lattice lathe that would stretch and sag. Found it at either HD or Lowes, can't remember which. Super easy to install and the screens are still drum tight. Here is a link that might be useful: Screentight
    ...See More

Please show me pics of your baseboard and crown molding

Q

Comments (4)
    My baseboards are 7.5 inches and my crown moldings are built up, so that doesn’t help you. The only stock baseboards I’m familiar with in that size are either a colonial style or ranch. I haven’t seen much style difference within those types. In a traditional home the taller the baseboard the better IMO. Is there a particular style you are looking for? Something custom?
    ...See More
  • jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very nice, sann.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

You deadhead each day? I never deadhnead except for when I want to take a picture. Then I clean up whatevershows up in the viewfinder.

• sann777
    14 years ago

Yes I deadhead pretty much everyday. If I miss a day walking around in my garden, I may miss that day's bloom.
    I also walk around with my camera and a pad to jot down which daylily I am photographing. I just started buying dls in 2005, so I am happy to see what they look like. I've got a bunch of new dls from Shaw's 2009 fall sale - can't wait to see what they look like. Do I sound a little fanatical?? I tend to be that way....Sarah

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Because my garden is composed of beach sand, I grow in boxes no larger than 4 ft wide. That allows me to fertilize and deadhead every day. Yep, I do!

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Well, I walk around my garden each day and when the daylilies are in bloom take pictures everyday. But I can't immagine having to deadhead everyday. I would never get anything else done. You are far more dedicated than I am.

• kimkats
    14 years ago

I do the daily camera walk too & do a little pollen daubing too. I try to deadhead every couple of days so I can see who has pods and who doesn't. I used to do every day but I just don't have enough time before I have to go to work.

Here is a pic of part of my mixed border. I like to mix in other perennials and shrubs with my daylilies. Although I have to tell you as i'm running out of space I'm begining to remove some shrubs and other pereenials so i have more daylily room.

{{gwi:684050}}
    {{gwi:684052}}
    {{gwi:684054}}
    {{gwi:684056}}

I like my colors all mixed together, some folks like to be more coordinated. To each his own, both styles are beautiful. Hope this helps.

Happy Gardening,

Kim

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

I deadhead. Sometimes the old blooms melt onto the new blooms and they don't open well.

• sann777
    14 years ago

Wow, kim kat, Those are lovely. I love the blues in the pictures - blue salvia especially. What is the Daylily in the front (coral pink) in the third pic? It is my fav. of them all. I do have some mixed flowerbeds but have found the shrubs and roses grow and eventually shade my dls. and then have to move them. I think I have one of everything that will grow here and have killed the others, but I love anything that blooms.

• kimkats
    14 years ago

The coral pink daylily in the front of the third pic is Ashcombe's Pink Delight, by Stu Kendig.Stu is a hybridizer from central Pennsylvannia, I go to their gardens every year and just go nuts buying stuff.

This year i'm considering moving some of my spirea and shrub roses out, so I have more room. I have to leave the butterfly bushes though. My hummies and butterflies wouldn't be too happy if I got rid of them. I thought I had run out of room but somehow this spring I managed to find space for nearly 2 dozen more daylilies. Plus there will be more to plant this summer after my annual pilgrimage to the Kendig's place. Good thing I inherited my Pappy's tiller. LOL!

Kim

• katladie
    14 years ago

I am about 60 miles north of New Orleans. I have planted a lot of new daylilies this year. Most of my other daylilies are unknowns, except for Apricot Sparkles and Salmon Sheen, both of which do very well here. Visit a local daylily farm, then you can see first hand what does well here. I don't know exactly where you are located. Crochet Daylily farm is in Prairieville which is also about 60 miles north of N.O. just off of Airline Hwy. http://www.eatel.net/~crochetgarden/

Sharon

• anniegolden
    14 years ago

I love the blue in your daylily gardens also. The blue enhances the warm daylily colors beautifully and the upright candle form of the veronica is perfect. Veronica is one of my favorites. Is that tradescantia in the back? Very pretty.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

I deadhead every day also as long as the weather is fit. When I get home from work, supper just has to wait until I have taken my daily stroll through my flowers with camera in hand. I like to dead head for the same reason as daylilyluver.

Here are a couple of shots of my beds:

Just added this section on the west side of the house a couple of years ago and I call it my sitting garden. My husbands only stipulation was to have enough room at the back of the lot so he could drive the truck between our property and the neighbors if he has to. Still have room for more, but am taking my time to see how big everything gets first. Already have a few second thoughts about the size that I had hoped on some things. A weigela was the only thing back here a couple of years ago and I didn't mind it's size then. Now, I am going to cut it waaaay back after it blooms every year.
    {{gwi:684059}}

A different angle of the sitting garden. Not sure if the porcupine grass was the best thing to put in here (it's the striped thing behind the green chair on the left). I wanted to use it as a back drop, for privacy, but am thinking that maybe I should have used something else because it looks like it's going to crowd some other plants that I really like.

The arborvitae trees in the background belong to our neighbors. As you can see on the far right, one of them is dead and we thought they were all going to die. I wish they had all lived because I liked the privacy, but as it is, they lost over half the row. I try to avoid getting those dead ones in the picture and our neighbor is being stubborn about removing some of them. This has been a 5 or 6 year problem, but that is another story...
    {{gwi:684061}}

Love having the plants around the oak tree, but am having a difficult time keeping the poison ivy away. I just saw another start of it a few days ago. This is another shot where I tried to keep the neighbors dead trees out of the picture.
    {{gwi:684063}}

Small section of our 125 foot long border at the NW edge of our lot. We made it 8 feet wide so we could use the 8 ft landscape timbers in between sections. It makes it nice for mapping where the plants are. Unfortunately, my map is still a work in progress.
    {{gwi:651148}}

Vickie

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

I am really enjoying these garden pics, just lovely. I too also deadhead everyday, in the morning, with my coffee, and bucket. It is a great way to 'wake' up and see what is new in the garden. Here are some pics, showing the outline of my gardens, I do mix in other plants, I have a few sections that I plan according to color, I have a new 'hot' bed, that is all orange and red, and I have a bed that is all pink daylilies and another section within a bed that is all black and white flowers, mostly daylilies. I have a large section that is just eyed daylilies, then other areas that are just a riot of color, love them no matter how they are arranged. It's just fun to plan the beds. Here is a pic from last spring, after I put in this new area, it should be great this summer.
    {{gwi:684065}}
    Here is a very recent pic of the same bed from a different angle.
    {{gwi:684066}}
    Here is where I connected two beds to have one continous bed across my yard. I have basically paths of grass between the beds. This is from last year. It is all planted now!
    {{gwi:684067}}
    Here is another new 'addition' done last summer.
    {{gwi:684068}}
    Then I have a rather large 'island' bed on the other side of my house.
    {{gwi:654190}}
    Another shot from last summer
    {{gwi:684070}}
    Here is a pic from just a few days ago, of the hot bed, I have the daylilies planted among the daffs.
    {{gwi:684071}}
    and anther view of the island bed, ready for more daylilies! Cindy
    {{gwi:684072}}

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Cindy,
    Everything is looking so beautiful! Your garden is dreamy.

kay

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Oh Cindy, how I wish I could get my DH to let me put in beds like yours. I love the little winding paths you have made between the beds. Everything looks so neat and clean and I know it's a lot of work, but so worth it:)

Vickie

• sann777
    14 years ago

Blue 23Rose and Cindy, I so enjoyed looking at your yards. I can see what work you have put into them.. Sarah

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

This is NOT my garden, (I Wish!) it was a Hemerocallis Society Display Garden open during Clematis blooming season not daylily but you can see how she used daylilies among all the other plants. This garden was one of the most outstanding home gardens I've ever seen.

{{gwi:684073}}

{{gwi:684074}}

{{gwi:684075}}

{{gwi:684076}}

Alas, I never got to see it during daylily bloom season. It is open again on the 29th of this month but that is too early here for anyone but Stella.

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

wow, all these gardens are so beautiful.Cindy: your beds are so pretty with all the curves and paths.Gorgeous.

Jean

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

What a thread; I can look at these photos again and again.
    Thank you to all of you.
    Renee

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm