SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keloggs

Yews. Irish yews. And the lawn.

kelogs
9 years ago

Hello people,

two years back I drove a few hundred kilometers to get my irish yews. Took me 11 hours to plant them all. I love those trees!

So, my first question is related to their watering and associated diseases, like root rot or fungi. They are aligned in a will-be huge screening hedge and one side of them will not be watered (close to the fence) while the other is a narrow strip of not even 1 meter of lawn. Thing is I now want to irrigate that lawn strip. Is it OK for the bark to get wet all the time from sprinklers ? Or even the foliage at the bottom of the tree ? Nursery owner I brought them from says it is not OK (generally speaking, I did not talk with him about irrigations). More over, this website - http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/treeshru/probyew.htm - talks about "wet feet", bad for yew roots.

Second question: I am not going to prune the yews anytime soon because I want the hedge to grow quite hugely at around 4 meters+. So I left them grow freely. But, they seem to have this growth pattern where new shoots will just unbalance the tree. So I gently tied a thin rope around the trees to hold those new shoots together until they thicken a bit. Also, one of the trees (Actually two of them) started leaning over quite heavily so I tied them very firmly to a concrete pole in order to straighten them up. All seemed fine to me until I have come across that same website which says:

"A tag attached to a branch with a wire may prove to be a real problem in years to come. If the tag is allowed to remain on the plant, the wire may girdle or constrict the branch after several years. Large sections of plants have been lost in this manner. Therefore, when plants are bought, all tags should be removed from each specimen."

Uhm... should I release all trees from the (thin) ropes ? If so, how do I straighten the leaning specimens ?

Thanks!

Comments (4)