Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Seedlings Photos for a Change of Pace

gardener365
13 years ago

Abies x phanerolepis

A graft of a seedling of Abies chensiensis var. ernestii

Abies nordmanniana - the new growth is wide/very attractive:

Foliage of Abies nordmanniana (wide as the lighter at the dorsal end of this lead-bud-shoot:

Picea omorika

Picea orientalis: some windburn but also planted bare-root, spring 09. I'd say all of them are doing well despite any minor damage:

Picea pungens var. glauca: This is a beautiful seedling - it's taken it a while to push:

Same Picea pungens var. glauca:

Another Abies x phanerolepis

Foliage of Abies x phanerolepis (Canaan fir)

Seedling of Thuja occidentalis cultivar Wintergreen from seed collected at Bickelhaupt Arboretum:

Rooted cutting of Metasequoia (seedling) that Mike sent me many years ago. This is the same Dawn Redwood that recently perished at his home:

Seed-grown Viburnum carliesii from cultivar 'Diana'

Cultivar Diana Seedling (Viburnum carliesii) - with leaf spot:

Row of Next Years plants and I'll start selling stuff online I believe:

Abies lasiocarpa var. arizonica (Corkbark fir) - alternative blue to blue-green conifer for the midwest - It grows very well in Illinois

Pinus aristata (being affected by heavy rains and a potting mix with too much peat/compost - these need a gravely mix or I'd use 75% or more perlite to i.e. Miracle Grow Potting Mix:

One of all fir kings, Abies koreana, Korean fir:

Abies koreana seedling in 50%-060% perlite to a peaty-mix:

Abies bornmuelleriana - wow is this a dynamite species of fir. Old foliage is nearly green-black it's so dark:

Picea lutzii (sitchensis x glauca) (glauca x sitchensis) (4)

Pinus heldreichii - a top notch pine that endures heat and humidity without pests, unlike the over-planted Pinus nigra (Austrian pine).

2011 Grafting Understocks (414) of Pinus sylvestris East Anglo origin only should be used; Pinus strobus; Abies balsamea, Larix kaempferi, & Picea abies (much better than pungens because needles will not cause severe pain to remove! ;-)

Dax

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County