SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Euphorbias

The Euphorbia family is one of the most diverse in the plant world. Euphorbias range from cold hardy perennials, annuals, tropicals, succulents, shrubs, to trees! Poinsettias are in the Euphorbia family. They are commonly called "Spurges" because they were once used as purgatives.

Personally, I love Euphorbias. I have only three kinds, but would have more if I had the space. I can't tell you how difficult it is to see all those awesome Spurges in the mags that are not hardy here! I just love the look of them.

I have E. amygdaioides robbiae, which a freind gave me. I did not know what the species were when I got it, so it took some searching before I found it. It is a short evergreen/semi-evergreen groundcover. It spread by seeds and roots. It doesn't spread so much here, maybe because it is colder here. I like its dark green, shiny leaves!

Euphorbia dulcis 'Chameleon'. Certainly isn't a favorite. The foliage is a pretty reddish color, but the flower heads are not very noticeable and do not last long.

I LOVE my E. polychroma! It has bright greenish-yellow tops that last for a very long time. Very pretty paired with Blue Oat Grass.

I saw another Euphorbia at the store today called 'Tiny Tim'. I think I may get it sometime.

I really enjoy chatting about individual plants here; its fun to hear what everyone grows. So what kinds of Euphorbia do you grow?

Here is a link to google images of Euphorbia. Some of them are wild!

CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: So many Euphorbias!

Comments (15)

Sponsored