SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harrietmcleod

Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.

HarrietMcLeod
9 years ago

Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted my yard into an edible forest garden. We laid down cardboard three layers thick, planted trees, shrubs, and ground-level edible plants all according to edible forest garden principles, (in fact, I hired an expert to do all the planning and purchasing), and put down mulch. It is hog fuel, with no cedar. We got it 4 inches deep in most places, perhaps a little shallower in some areas. This is the second summer since we put in the garden, and it has been a real struggle keeping it looking decent. I have spent every spare moment pulling weeds. I know dandelions are supposed to be good for the soil, but I'm not enough of a convert to want to have a yard that is completely carpeted with them. If it weren't for pulling them out, all of the ground level edible plants I put in would be completely hidden by them. I love the ideal behind edible landscaping, but the reality has not lived up to that. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to make my garden more manageable?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting