SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccca_gw

Anyone have a good resource for forest gardening?

rebeccca
13 years ago

I love the idea and get it philosophically but on a practical level, I need specific ideas for plants. I am going to get a couple of books re companion planting but if you know of a good one on forest gardening I'd love to hear about it.

The original one by Hart isn't very helpful for me since he was writing from his experience in England. One for North America would be better and one specific to Oklahoma would just make me faint.

BTW, it's the idea of gardening like a forest grows (as opposed to gardening in a forest). The idea is to plant a canopy crop (pecan/walnut/large fruit/et c.), an under story (dwarf fruit, et c.), and on down from shrubs to herbaceous, et c. Further, you're supposed to plant crops that benefit each other (a la companion planting) but also a few things that attract birds or poultry to scratch and help the garden, too.

This is new to me. I mean, I had an idea of companion planting but the whole planting guild/forest garden idea is completely new to me. I'd like to incorporate this into my garden but I need specific plant ideas more than theory.

Any book ideas?

Comments (8)