SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trying_in_alaska

Larix Decidua Pendula still mostly dormant

trying_in_alaska
15 years ago

We bought a GORGEOUS, mature weeping larch last summer that put on at least 6-8" of new growth after we brought it home. We were advised by the nursery staff to leave it potted on our deck to avoid the local moose population from accidentally running into -- and breaking -- it. I never over water it, it's kept in partial shade to protect it from high winds, and I'm STILL waiting for the needles to pop out of the buds which appeared shortly after the soil thawed. I've tried giving it a little SuperThrive, but so far only half the plant has any needles, and I could count those in 10 minutes time! The temps here are still under 60 degrees (zone 3), but my other conifers (Bristle Cone, Red Tipped Norway & Red Cone Norway, all planted in the ground), are growing like gang busters. Should I move it to full sun? Should we plant it in the ground? Or am I over reacting and need only to wait until it warms up a bit more?

The trunk and limbs are all supple and green under the bark, and there are thousands of buds all over it -- they just won't open up! It would kill me to lose this beautiful tree! Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting