SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Does your garden design mirror your environs?

I think we have all looked at a picture of a garden before and thought that it exemplifies the perfect Southern Garden, New England Garden, Southwest Garden, Pacific Northwest Garden, etc. Or even more general like city, country, farmland, meadow, mountainous, desert, tropical, etc.

If you were to write an article for a garden magazine about what design elements are typical of your location/region, what would you say? And do you think that your garden contains any of those characteristics?

I would say that region has inspired my style of gardening. I live in Eastern Washington, but have always loved the 'typical' gardens you would find on the western side (Seattle and the coast). I love the rich plantings that seem to focus as much (if not more) on greenery and texture as they do colorful flowers. And I think Pacific Northwest gardens are themselves influenced by surroundings, particularly the woodland areas and forests. I often notice how PNW gardens imitate the naturalistic wonders of the region and blend in natives and woodlandy plants into the design, as well as lots of evergreen trees/shrubs.

My garden, at least in spring, reminds me very much of some of the gardens I have always seen (since childhood really) in western WA. I tend to focus a lot on texture and put things based not only on where they will be happy, but where they will look 'natural' too. As if Mother Nature had put them there herself. I adore understated plants that are not very showy (such as woodland plants).

So, do you think your location has influenced your style of gardening at all?

Look forward to hearing from you!

CMK

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert