SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachygreen

Number/spacing of blueberry bushes in hedge for berry production

peachygreen
13 years ago

I am planning a curbside blueberry bush hedge for my semi-urban property and have a few questions to help me plan for decent berry production (understanding these will become dual-use bushes for a neighborhood pedestrian marketplace!).

From my understanding, I need to plant 2-3 varieties for best berry production. I would also like to plant for early, mid, and late season harvest. If I do my math right, this results in the need for a total of 6-9 bushes (assuming they'll fit my urban space).

Since pollen will presumably just blow around, I think planting same-season bushes evenly spaced throughout hedge for balanced curb appeal, i.e., balanced visual of blooms across hedge over time, wouldn't make a difference in pollination. I haven't measured yet, but the hedge would be the length of a typical ranch home. The pollen wouldn't need to "work harder" to get to their destination, right?

Are 2 bushes/varieties enough to boost berry production, or is there a magic "no less than" number for a significant difference? This is important in case I can only cram in a maximum of, say, 6 bushes in my space.

Currently, my local nursery only has early season bushes. When will nurseries have mid and late season bushes? Would there be bushes available in fall/winter? If I don't nab these now, will I have to wait another year before I can get my hands on early season bushes? If so, I guess my hedge won't be going in all at once, but gradually through this summer?

Extra question --

I'm contemplating a mixed hedge planting, like blueberry and azalea. Would that work, or would one type outgrow the other in size/spread as to require superhuman feats of pruning? Or should I just stick with a mixed hedge of different varieties of blueberries?

Thanks!

Peachy Green

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County