SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greatplainsturf

Picea pungens replacement. Help me choose

greatplainsturf
12 years ago

As you have seen from my last post, I have a dead fat Albert to replace in a prominent spot in my front yard. Please rank your selection from the following (what I have seen available in my area in 5-7' range)

Hoopsi

Bakeri

Fat Albert

Bizon Blue

Baby Blue

Critera are:

Growth rate

Heat tolerance

Color

Overall size

In that order. I don't want a dwarf, but anything growing over 15-20 ft would be ok. I know there are others, but the listed ones I know I can get.

Comments (22)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

of those i have seen on the list.. hoopsi is my favorite.. though i have no clue about how its color will hold up for you...

i highly suggest you go at least half the size of 'what you have sen'

ken
    from a one gallon pot
    {{gwi:205545}}

• ricksample
    12 years ago

X2 for Hoopsi. Mine just started to put on new growth thats a very nice light Blue color. However, the old growth is somewhat green.

On the other hand, my new BabyBlue Eyes still has a very strong blue color from last years growth. This plant is new to me so I'm not sure what color blue the new growth will be, can't wait to find out. This is probably to slow growing for you.

• Related Discussions

Spacing of Picea pungens and Picea abies - Spruce Screen - Photos

Q

Comments (4)
    great pix dax ... wonder what is back there ... anyway .. if it were me.. i would now get rid of the pines .... i would guess .. when smaller.. they were the first to put on height ... but now.. they are the weakest plant there.. and will start causing problems.... IMHO ... especially those nearest to the building in the first pic ... ken
    ...See More

Help with Picea Pungens Leaders

Q

Comments (4)
    i tend to go with the straightest ... and with harsh winter.. i would probably do it after next springs flush .. i always worry that the only viable one.. is the one i cut off ... even after all these years ... BTW.. i blame robins... birds landing on the top of the tree.. squishing the buds in their talons ... the second... give it a year or two.. to sort itself out ... there is NEVER a hurry.. when dealing with trees and conifers ... besides... i have gone in there and broken off small... good ones ... trying to cut out the bad .... in a year or two ... you can do the surgery much easier ... and finally .. if and when you do it... dont worry about a perfect flush cut.. and branch collars.. etc ... you do the best you can.. w/o further injury ... even if you have to leave a stub ..... and that lesson is learned.. when you have a pole saw extended to 16 feet... over your head ... and wing it .... [its even more entertaining.. when you have the pole.. on top of a 10 foot ladder.. and you are trying to get leverage to pull the mechanism .;... ] ken
    ...See More

Picea Pungens Wells Blue Totem: Know a Non- Picea Version?

Q

Comments (5)
    Blue Suprise is a good choice but make sure you find one that is grafted to a root rot resistant rootstock. Otherwise you could have Phytophthora issues. At the nursery I used to work for, we used to say - only partly in jest - that they named this cultivar Blue Surprise cuz it was a surprise if the dang thing lived very long. Root rot used to knock them down in no time. Fortunately, these are now usually sold as a disease resistant grafted specimen.
    ...See More

Picea pungens or Picea engelmannii/mexicana

Q

Comments (8)
    Picea pungens and engelmanni often appear similar to me. I recently picked up a small jeweler's loupe, which has helped a lot. It looks something like this. When looking at the stems, Picea pungens is smooth and Picea engelmannii has hairs. Picea pungens Picea engelmannii
    ...See More
  • texjagman
    12 years ago

A few comments / warnings......

First and foremost, do not buy or plant any of these until October for our location. We are already far too hot to bring one of these guys in now. Virtually all of the local stock that are fresh from the nurseries just came from the Pacific Northwest where they were in heavy cloudiness and rain most of the spring. To bring them into your yard in our full 90+ degree sun will most surely fail. Letting the roots have a chance to settle in over the winter will dramatically increase your success rate. And waiting will also let you see how the tree performed durng the summer in our heat while at the nursery.

Second, for many of the same reasons mentioned above I would also recommend getting a tree in the 3-5' range rather than the larger. Even as much of an instant gratification guy as I am, I have learned over the years your success rate transplanting the 5-6'+ range bigger trees in our climate is half what the smaller size will get you.

But having said all that here is how I would rank your list for our location -

Bizon Blue
    Hoopsii
    Fat Albert
    Baby Blue - normally a smaller slower growing tree than most of your list
    Backeri - seems to have issues pumping enough water for our heat

That's all just for what it's worth.....

mark

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some have said that the color of bakeri is close to hoopsi, and some say its a dwarf and others don't. Is there a real difference on these two's size and growth rate?

Bizon blue is advertised as a fuller hoopsi, are there any other differences? Do those who have this tree like it, or with they had a hoopsi?

12 years ago

rick, et al ....

the blue pungens [and most blue plants] have a wax coating on the needles ... which reflects the blue of the sky .... they are green under the wax [rub a needle and find out] ... they are bluer on sunny days.. and duller on grey days ... its a trick of the eye ...

many environmental factors dictate how long the blue lasts ... thunderstorm in high heat that has melted the wax ... snow.. ice ... etc.. all effect how long the blue remains vibrant..

all conifers lose interior needles over time .... and as the years roll by .. they green ... or more properly.. the wax/blue wears off ...

if you look closely at my pic above.. you can see the new vibrant color ... the prior years less blue color ... and if you look real close ... the 3 year priors nearly green ... and some weeds.. whats that all about .. lol

some claim that some cultivars 'hold' their color longer .. as far as i am concerned... its all marketing .... sooner or later.. complicated by your location.. its going to wear off ....

the ONLY way to figure out how it will work in your area.. is to either plant it and find out... or find a local arboretum.. and see them in person ...

i have thomsen .. otto von bismarch .. hoopsi ... and a bunch of blue concolors ... and frankly.. except for some minor form differences.. 99.9% of us.. would be hard pressed to tell them apart as to color [comparing pungens to pungens and concolor to concolor] ... [joy doesnt count.. lol]

finally ... you cant compare your new mail order plant to your local plants.. since for all you know.. they were protected in a greenhouse ... only in the years to come.. will you be able to come to any real conclusions....

ken

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

MARK SAID
    ""First and foremost, do not buy or plant any of these until October for our location. We are already far too hot to bring one of these guys in now. Virtually all of the local stock that are fresh from the nurseries just came from the Pacific Northwest where they were in heavy cloudiness and rain most of the spring. To bring them into your yard in our full 90+ degree sun will most surely fail. Letting the roots have a chance to settle in over the winter will dramatically increase your success rate. And waiting will also let you see how the tree performed durng the summer in our heat while at the nursery""

I can vouge for this. Strongly. Though we start growing 'early' here in the Pacific Northwest many years, a very strong La Nina weather pattern has shrouded our Spring with many days of cool, cloudy weather, with highs rarely reaching into the 60s. We literally have had two days since last September over 70 degrees and due to this, many plants, including Picea pungens are just barely starting to wake up now. Some of my cultivars in shadier spots are firmly asleep right now, pounding on their 'snooze buttons'.

Particularly the sunlight may be shocking to plants moving into the Midwest/hot locations as we've had rare sunny days as well(maybe one or two decent semi-sunny days a week).

Fall would really be a better option unless you're desperate.

And I'd vote for whatever cultivar of those five is the most readily available/healthy/inexpensive. To me, there's very small differences here, not enough to warrant losing sleep over.

-Will

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After a quick scan of the local nurseries, it seems that most of the stock has been depleted this spring. Can't find any hoopsi that are bigger than a 5 gallon pot.

Mark, maybe you can answer this if you have ordered from a nursery here before. They said they would order me whatever I needed in the fall, but will they get fresh stock, or will it come from an intermediate nursery between the field and here?

• texjagman
    12 years ago

Traditionally, when a retailer like TLC or Marcums orders you a tree it is coming as fresh stock from the grower.

Sorghum Mills would be one exception to that because they bring them in and re-plant them in his field. So a lot of his inventory has been there for some time.

Marcums also grows a lot of their own stock. I was there recently but I can't remember what blues he has in stock. I know he has several large deodoras and pines. But I don't think he grows much in Picea.

TLC has a lot of beautiful stock but for the most part it is all fresh stock and they are the highest in price. They will also order you any tree you want which is nice when you have a specific target in mind. They have a great no questions asked 1 year guarantee so you have absolutely no risk. But it comes at a price.

mark

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Having lost this tree I'm willing to pay a bit more for a better guarantee. Marcums did have some hoopsi in 5' but they did not have the warranty. Unless I find something else in the meantime, im sure I'll have TLC order me something.

What have you found are the differences between bizon blue and hoopsi as far as growth rate and form? These seem to be the finalists.

• texjagman
    12 years ago

Growth rate between the two is about the same.

Form is close...Bizon blue might be a little tighter / fuller appearing. Bizon Blue's needles to me usually look slightly shorter than Hoopsii's.

Color - Bizon Blue is a more consistant powder / steel blue while Hoopsii can be greenish blue to blue with a much more dramatic bright blue spring flush.

And in just my experience now.....Bizon Blue seems to consistantly take our heat a little better. But lots of folks would have told you Fat Albert would be the best for heat. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

mark.

• texjagman
    12 years ago

One more thing......if you do go to TLC and want to order a tree ask for Marteen and tell him I sent you. He's responsible for all TLC's tree orders and inventory and we know each other well. He's pretty much through ordering for the nursery's stock other than small fill-in stuff. But he'll add something for you if you're willing to wait for his next shipment from that supplier.

But also watch their sales. Like most major nurseries they run promotions in July and August like their annual moonlight madness sale, to clear out what's left of their summer inventory. There are good bargains to be found on conifers at that time and you get to also see how they took the summer heat in their nursery beds.

If you find something don't plant it. Take it home and set in a nice protected area and care for it until October / November. Once the heat stays consistently at or below 75-80 is when I plant. Many wait until hard chills set in so the trees are more dormant but I go in the ground a little earlier. Because of our extreme Oklahoma heat I want the roots to have as much water pumping time as they can before the next spring heat season.

mark

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great information Mark. You say he is done ordering for the summer, do you know when I need to have my order in to get something for early this fall? I assume they will get some conifers in at that time.

• texjagman
    12 years ago

They'll continue to have small orders come in throughout the summer, but few conifers. Their inventory is pretty heavy right now.

I'd just go in sometime its convenient and introduce yourself to him, tell him what tree you've got in mind and ask him when he thinks he might be able to bring one in. If you tell him you'd rather wait until the fall to get it, I can't imagine he'll have a problem with that.

As I said he's got a big inventory right now. You might look around and see what you find. Your ideal tree may be there already......

mark

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

How did you confirm that your Fat Alber was dead by the way?

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mark,

I'll go find him sometime soon. I was there yesterday and couldn't find any hoopsi bigger than 3 gallon. No bizon blue either, the only thing semi large was a couple of fat Alberts and baby blues. I know I have seen both of the others there in the past, so hopefully they will show up or I'll order.

As for my current fat Albert, I'm not ready to dig it out yet, but I'm getting closer with each day it gets browner from the bottom and no growth at all. I'll post a pic tomorrow

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the pic. My fear is that if it does live, the bottom branches will die forcing me to decide if I can live with it without branches to the ground.

12 years ago

I was there yesterday and couldn't find any hoopsi bigger than 3 gallon.

===>>> i am still baffled by your insistence on a bigger transplant...

mine grew from 1 foot to 8 ft ... in the pic above.. inside of 5 years.. because it got its roots down and became 'established' .. and got growing to standards.. ASAP ...

the larger the transplant .. the longer to re-establishment .. and the longer to growing to standard ...

but of course.. do whatever makes you happy ...

but planting a 5 to 6 foot tree in the heat of OK summer.. which ought to be very soon.. MIGHT end up just like the one you are replacing ...

if you decide to go big... the next PROPER planting time is fall.. about the time the leaves fall off the other trees ...

good luck

ken

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The reason I want a little larger specimen is that this tree holds a prominent place in my landscape, and secondly from what I am told, we don't get that kind if growth here. More like half, so your 5 years is 10 to me. I will go a bit smaller, maybe 4-5 rather than his 7' to try to be more successful.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

I'm 100% with Ken here but I'd be tempted to try a 5-gallon max in your landscape. First, it will have less foliage to feed and less to water. Next, it will establish quicker then a 20-gallon monster - finally, it will cost less to start, still look decent, achieve a decent height in a relative short amount of time and best of all, if it doesn't live, you're out less money.

3 or 5-gallon plants are my favorite!

-Will

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it was Mark that had praised the Bakeri as doing well in OK and with compareable color to Hoopsi. Has something changed with the opinion of Bakeri with regard to heat tolerance? What have others experienced with this cultivar?

• bunkers
    12 years ago

I have Bakeri (x5), Hoopsi and Baby Blue (x2) ... and have seen some very nice Bizon Blue in person. All have excellent blue in the spring. Hoopsi is stunning, steel-grey/blue (not just tips, and retains them year round!).

My Bakeri seem to be growing a bit faster (vs. Hoopsi) and also started smaller. They are stunning in spring, but only the tips (new growth) are that pure blue. The Bakeri have more 'character' (iregular shape, funky, somewhat narrow).

I would go with Hoopsi, then Bakeri, then Bizon Blue. I don't consider fat albert in the same class as these others. Baby blue is also nice, but is the slowest growing of them all and technically a drawf growth rate.

Personally, I'd like a Abies concolor 'Candicans' and those are nice trees.

Not sure which would grow best in your soil and climate.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Yeah, that guy is looking pretty cashed. I noticed mine hasn't pushed any buds and is getting a brown cast but isn't losing any needles as of yet. A Picea omorika is doing the same thing.

Its true smaller plants will typically establish sooner but get growth rates from folks in your local area.

Growth rates are dependent on cultural requirements and most importantly the soil type and texture.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert