SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sosusie

Violet Question

sosusie
19 years ago

Is the entire violet flower edible? The petals are so tiny and tedious to remove... and stick to your fingers really bad if you've wash them first! I have located two recipes (below)for making violet jelly and am hoping it was okay to leave the sepal -green part holding the petal together- on. As far as I can tell it is okay... but since it's our first time eating a violet, I'd like reassurance from someome who knows for sure! Thanks in advance.

SOS

Violet Jelly

Note: the differences, altho minor, between the two recipes will appear in blue

2 Heaping cups of fresh violet petals (2 cups fresh violets)

2 cups boiling water

¼ cup well strained. clear lemon juice [juice of one lemon(4 tablespoons)]

4 cups sugar

3 ounces liquid pectin (1 package of powdered pectin)

Wash petals well, drain, and place in heat proof bowl. Pour boiling water over petals; steep 30 minutes to 24 hours.( Steep 24 hours. The infusion will turn a murky bluish green) Strain, reserving liquid; discard violets. (Can be refrigerated up to 24 hours).

Keep jars hot until ready to use. To make jelly, stir lemon juice and sugar into the violet juice in a 2 quart steel pan. Bring to a roiling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add pectin, boil 2 minutes.(Add lemon juice to violet infusion, and it transforms to a clear lavendar pink. Stir in powered pectin, and bring to a boil. Add 4 cups sugar, bring to a boil again, and boil vigoriously for one minute) Skim any foam.

Ladle aquickly into hot jars within 1/8 inch of the top. Clean rims. Screw tops on tightly and place in water bath canner for 10 minutes following USDA standards.

Makes 4 to 5 half pint jars.

Note: can substitute lavendar, honeysuckle, or rose petals. Use fully opened flowers.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery