SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandygator_gw

How do I get started?

sandygator
16 years ago

Hello all. I am in North Florida, sitting in front of my pc looking out onto approx 3/4 acre yard which contains one beautiful old wild plum tree in bloom (my hubby has kept it well pruned), a very large cedar tree screening me from the road, some forgotten legustrum along the same line as the cedar, a couple of magnolia's (fair size), a couple of maple's (all are mostly at the edge of property) A couple of black jack oaks which I am going to get rid of because they are crowding one of the magnolias.One high straight pine, one large live oak.

I have some gerber daisies growing around the oak which come back every year...they do nicely. I have a large clump of honeysuckle which I will leave because the birds like to hide in it and the hummers love it...I love the summer fragrance. Finally I have 2 bridal wreath bushes, and 2 clumps of my grandmother's hydrangea. Everything I mention after the oak (including it) are directly in front of my home. My question is, how in the world do I start to make a cottage garden? My grass is a poor mixture of st augustine and centipede, but has LOTS of sandpur grass mixed in...it's unbearable. I am willing to work hard but have limited resources. Mostly short on imagination...and how to get started is stopping me.

Thanks for any advice, encouragement!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor