SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikesc_gw

Death of Rust?

mikesc
13 years ago

I'm a relative newcomer to daylilies, having grown them now for just four or five years (compared to iris, which has been my original passion). Boy, has it become addictive!

I've read a great deal here about rust, and three years ago I had one particular plant infected badly with rust. I discarded the plant, but I found rust on individual leaves of several other plants around it. I had read here about rust, and it seems as if people are confident that in the north winters are cold enough to kill it. So I wanted to report that I have seen no rust whatsoever on any plants for the past two seasons (knocking on wood, of course). I live in a southern state and I'd say our temperatures get into the teens probably no more than six or seven days in the typical winters. I'm just posting this because possibly, based on my experience, this is cold enough to kill rust [?]

It just seemed to me when I was reading that there was a lot of speculation and frustration over a problem without a clear remedy, and so I thought I'd post what appears to be good news. Granted this is purely anecdotal, but I thought I'd post anyhow. (Hope I'm not jinxing myself....)

Have a great gardening season!

Mike in Myrtle Beach SC (North Coastal SC in Zone 8)

Comments (2)