SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyyife

Adding compost to flower beds... (2 questions)

armyyife
17 years ago

This is probably a dumb question but if you keep adding compost to the soil you already have around your plants isn't it going to start to cover your plants? I never use to add to my soil before but everything I read says to add a thick layer spring and fall to your beds and work it into the soil. I did do that this spring already trying so hard not to hurt the roots of my plants just sprouting but it also seems that if I keep doing it the soil will eventually cover or mound around the plants.

Also I posted this on another thread but in case noone sees it there it goes. When I moved here I took most of my plants with me digging them up and putting them into boxes and buckets. When we moved in it was late May and getting hot and had to get the plants in the ground. I amended it as best I could at the time though not as good as I would have liked and quickly got them in the ground. The bed is not level and has high and low spots. Am I risking killing the plants if I was to dig them all up, level it, and replant them? If you need to know what plants I have in there let me know and I'll list them.

Comments (31)

Sponsored