SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gomanson

Will this plan mean certain death for spruces?

gomanson
15 years ago

Today I bought a Colorado Spruce and a Norway Spruce from Walmart for $5 each. (See Photo)

{{gwi:734970}}
Part of my property is a sloping maple/ash/basswood(I think) forest with little undergrowth. We have good topsoil on top of brown clay.

{{gwi:734971}}
(this was taken today right after a hailstorm and the flash went off, so it looks a little darker than it is, but you can see how much direct light gets through the canopy.)

I like to kid myself into thinking I live in the northwoods (A half hour drive to the north brings us to the southern range of several spruce and fir species...the only conifers native here are scrubby redcedar and the rare white pine) so I've been transplanting some redcedar into the woods. I also am trying some free Norway Pine seedlings I got from McDonald's on arbor day. I know it's a fool's errand to try to transform a deciduous forest into coniferous, especially where the conifers are not native. So my only goal is to fill in the undergrowth a bit with some conifers, even if they grow slow and thin.

So my question is: If I plant these spruces in the woods, will they have a chance of making it? Like I said, I know they won't do well, but if they survive at all and stay small and green, I'll have gotten my $10 worth.

(posted in woodlands forum too)

Comments (3)