SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

when bad things happen to good gardens

louisianagal
15 years ago

Well I must share this sad story. A pipe broke right in front of my kitchen window where I have a lovely garden. The daffodils are just coming up and some blooming, taking me out of my winter depression. But....the guys had to dig them up to repair the pipe, and digging right near a beautiful coral bark japanese maple (I was a nervous wreck). I replaced them as best I could. They also had to dig up much of my front lawn and a part of another cottage garden. They took out a butterfly bush (which I have heeled in at my compost bin, to replant soon) and a rose bush just leafing out, which I relocated to another spot. they dug up but replanted a nandina and a gallardia. The nandina looks ok but the gallardia looks wilted. Not only was my house a mess, as they came in and out of the mud to work under the kitchen sink, but more distressing, my (newly expanded and hopeful for a good 3rd year) garden was violated! The guys really tried to be careful, but I am so upset. It's ruined my spring high, but I'm trying to get over it. Once they laid all the pipe and put the lawn back together (it looks like a mutant killer mole has come through) it did look a bit better.

After a busy day at work tomorrow I am hoping for good weather to make the repairs this weekend. They had a truck coming to haul away some of the dirt, but I said No! I'll use all that dirt in my compost pile!

This was nothing like the grief I felt after Hurricane Katrina, but it was painful nonetheless.

Comments (6)

Sponsored