SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

I want to enjoy my backyard again. HELP!!!!

hbwright
17 years ago

Yup, that is a scream. I lost my precious canine baby girl (9 1/2 years) on New Years Day this year. For years I've been saying I want a backyard I can enjoy as much as the dogs and kids and now I mean business but don't know where to start. I am despirate at this point because there is nothing enjoyable back there anymore. No playing, happiness, nothing. The grass is growing in the pathways and I'm almost resentfull of it but have decided to go ahead and fill them in and at least make believe it is by choice.

So, without further adu.. I present to you, I can't believe I'm even sharing these. Help.

{{gwi:640515}}

{{gwi:640516}}

{{gwi:640517}}

{{gwi:640518}}

{{gwi:640520}}

I have compost to amend the back hill and mega seeds starting consisting of: dwarf cosmos, cleome, rose campion (pink & white), hollyhock mix, colombine, guara, mexican hots, orange & gold cosmos, hybiscus, lupine, mamoth sunflower, 4 o'clock, black eye susan, feverfew, centaurea macrocephala, gloriosa daisy, nigella love-in-a-mist, forget-me-nots, tall white snapdragon, baptisia, verbascum-tall white, calendula, bunny tails, monarda, cosmos, common cosmos, zinnia, coccinea salvia and mexican salvia (divided from existing plant). I've also got sweetshrub available for me, all I want for the taking from shoots from a friends house.

All these seeds were given by a very generous Garden Web friend and some I had on hand from starting my front garden last year.

I think we'll be removing one of the dog houses, possibly both, but my existing dog still uses them occasionally. I want to sort of enclose the patio with a natural enclosure and move the swingset, just don't know where. I also have a spare coral honeysuckle that I'd like to put somewhere back there. I don't know if you can see or not but I do have a small natchez crepe myrtle in the side/middle of the yard in the pictures.

I am in zone 7/8 in northern South Carolina and have mostly clay soil but I will amend as much as I can. Most of this area is full sun on the hill sun at least in the morning and later afternoon more towards the house.

Any help at all on what to do with this dreary, pitiful backyard to make it a happy place again.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz