SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnstaci

Dead Pines Sprouting From Base

johnstaci
15 years ago

This winter a buck or two had fun rubbing most of the tallest trees in my reforestation project. Most of the deciduous resprouted from the base 6 weeks ago, as I expected. They hit several dozen of my largest pines - they are either loblolly or pitch-loblolly (I planted hundreds of both). The rubbed pines quicly browned and I assumed were dead. Amazingly the majority of them are resprouting- either from the base or just below the buck rub. I had read somewhere that loblollies can resprout from growth within the past 2 years, but some of the growth I'm seeing is from the base of of seedlings that must be at least 4 yrs old.

The new sprouts just happened within the past couple weeks - well after the rest of my trees pushed out new growth. I spread some slow release water insoluble fertilizer on all my seedlings about 6 weeks ago (even the ones I thought were dead). I don't know if this helped give them an extra push or if this is normal for these trees. Either way I'm estatic they're still alive. Some have a lower trunk with a caliper over an inch. Am curious if anyone else has seen this and if this happens on both loblolly and pitch-loblolly?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting