SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Planning a hobbit garden (long)

rosefolly
17 years ago

Or should I say long-winded?

Here is the background. We have invited my father, an ardent gardener, to live in the cottage next to our house. This will probably happen at the end of this summer. So that he will have his own garden to do with as he wishes, I am clearing my plants out the raised bed next to the cottage. Previously it was filled with roses, herbs, and the odd vegetable here and there. I am well on my way to emptying it, just three roses left to place elsewhere and some primroses for winter cheer.

Since Dad won't be here for some months, and since I don't want to leave it empty and weedy, I've decided to make a temporary garden, annuals only. I'm inspired to make a hobbit garden similar to the ones in the LotR movies. Both my Dad and I are long time LotR fans, as is almost everyone in our family. It doesn't have to be an exact copy, but it should fit the spirit of Tolkien's Shire. I will enjoy looking at a garden so different from what I usually plant while waiting for his arrival, and he will find it a welcoming surprise when he gets here. And because it is all annuals, he can start completely fresh with his own plants once he is settled in.

The garden is rectangle with a curved end, roughly 8 feet deep and 18 feet long. Here are the seeds I've purchased so far. I may not use all of them, and I am open to getting more, possibly plants from Annie's Annuals for quick results.

Tall:

Sunflower - Autumn Beauty 5'-7'

Nasturtium - Spitfire - 4'-6' (on tripod)

Scarlet Runner Bean - 10'-12' (on tripod)

Medium:

Cosmos sulphureus - Bright Lights Blend - 3'

Cornflower - Blue Boy - 3'-3.5'

Coreopsis tinctoria - 2'-3'

Short:

Zinnia - Apricot Profusion - 1.5'-2'

Cosmos sulphureus - Little Ladybirds - 1.5'

Nasturtium - Copper Sunset - 1'

Okay, I'm ready for suggestions.

I'm not sure about the scarlet runner beans - may be too big for the space.

All of the flowers except the cornflowers are in the yellow-orange range. I could use another blue, I think. Also I would not mind a warm deep pink, something in the coral-peach range. Scarlet also might work, but not crimson or true reds. No pastels or whites either. And I have an unreasonable dislike of petunias and marigolds. Just thought I'd mention that. Actually I'm not crazy about zinnias either, but these are supposed to be mildew resistant so I thought I'd give them a try.

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:640289}}

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner