SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Size of Meyer Lemons ??

dancinglemons
11 years ago

Hello again,

I've got 2 Meyer Lemon trees and both bear fruit. However one of my Meyer trees has never gotten taller than 2 feet tall and it bears HUGE lemons and lots of them. These huge Myer lemons are about the size of a large navel orange. I know they are Meyer because of the taste. The shape of these huge Meyer is like a Tangelo with the little 'temple' on the stem end. I can post a photo if that will help. The taller Meyer is about 4 feet tall and bears a modest amount of smaller lemons about the size of apricots.

Anyone here have Meyer that bear very large lemons?? I've only seen small Meyer in the grocer and they are smooth and yellow/orange in color -- my huge Meyer are yellow when mature. The only local person I know who is a citrus grower (in containers) says he has never seen a Meyer like this one. He took some cuttings to grow out because he likes the large lemons. I got the plant from Monrovia nursery several years ago. (5? 6? yrs) BTW this particular Meyer also blooms and holds fruit even when majority of the leaves drop. Could this be a different strain of Meyer?? I know the taller Meyer is on some sort of rootstock because the branches that attempt to grow out of the lower trunk each summer have a "3 leaf" pattern -- which is completely different that the fruit bearing portion of the tree.

I should mention that I grow exclusively in container and put my trees in homemade hoop house over winter.

Thanks,
DL

Comments (46)