SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swontgirl_z5a

Seed dormancy related to foliage dormancy?

swontgirl_z5a
11 years ago

I've got a question about daylily seeds that maybe some of you can help me with.
I have always started my seeds by soaking them in water and peroxide at room temp or on a heating map. When each seed germinates I plant it. It has usually worked pretty well.
This year I wasn't going to start them until March. After reading about soaking them for 3 days and then putting them back in the fridge for cold stratification I decided I was going to try this. I thought it would still end up with them starting about March. So I put some water/peroxide solution in their little bags and soaked then for 3 days. After 1 day I had quite a few seeds germinating and had to plant them So much for March!
I assume these were not dormant and didn't need any cold stratification. Is this the same as non-dormant foliage and will these plants have non-dormant foliage?
Also some of these crosses that germinated right away have some straggling seeds that haven't germinated. I am putting them back in the fridge for cold stratification to see if that helps. Does it make sense that some seeds in a cross can be dormant and some non-dormant? I know I have seedlings in the same cross with differing foliage types. Does the same thing happen in seeds and does this relate to foliage type?
Debbie

Comments (22)