SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slubberdegulion

Weeds in the Cottage Garden

slubberdegulion
17 years ago

Okay, this may be an Edible Landscaping topic or Farm Life topic, but I'm a Cottage Gardener, by golly, so here it is. As some of you may know, I'm getting hens this Spring and I've been making my haphazard plans for the past few months. Part of those plans is gathering seeds for greens to feed the hens and that got me to wondering if any of the rest of you eat your weeds or cultivate them on purpose. Are cultivated weeds 'weeds' anymore?

Considering that a "cottage" garden may be a collection of edibles and ornamentals cheek-by-jowl, do you think edible weeds have a place?

I allow (ha!ha!ha!) some dandelions to live both because they were my favorite childhood flower and because they are darn tasty. I recently found out the flowers of bachelor's buttons are edible also, and those are certainly weedy here. I eat bittercress in the Spring, but to be honest the plants are tiny and fiddly to harvest and clean.

I'm getting chickweed and purslane because, somehow, they don't grow around here. I know that epazote is a weed in most places too, although I haven't seen it locally either.

Am I the only nut introducing weeds into my yard? Has anyone else planted dandelions on purpose? Is there help for me?

kent

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting