SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Suggestion: a slow, low-cost deer barrier

rosefolly
17 years ago

Deer - gotta hate 'em, if you are a gardener, that is. These rats on the hoof will eat just about anything that is not poisonous. And since we have killed off most of their predators, their population is increasing with no end in sight.

What's a gardener to do? Repellents may work for a while, but starving deer will eventually ignore repellents. The only answer I've ever seen work is a fence.

I've been thinking about a solution for someone who wants a low-cost deer fence. Here's the idea I came up with.

First, come in at least 3 feet from the property line, maybe a bit more, so that you can get to both sides of the area. Drive into the ground a line of metal T-stakes meant for stock fencing. An 8 foot post costs about $5. They have little metal wings at the bottom to keep them from being easily removed. Then stretch wire fence meant for stock across the fenceposts. Sometimes this wire is called hogwire. It is tough. This will be serviceable and sturdy, but not pretty. Now buy some hedging plants of a variety that deer won't eat. I suggest something that does not need a lot of pruning or other maintenance. Here in California oleander would work. Now plant these in a row just inside the fence and let them grow. In a few years, they will grow up and conceal the fence, while the fence will prevent the deer from worming their way between the plants. Generally 8 feet is recommended for a deer fence, but this would probably work at 5 or 6 feet, because it will be broad as well as tall. Also, deer won't jump where they cannot see their landing place, and they should not be able to see through the hedge.

I don't know how much this would cost, but certainly nothing like the $40K someone recently quoted for fencing one acre!

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal T-stakes for fencing

Comments (8)

Sponsored