SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dredawg5000

Conifer Fallacies and Misnomers...sound off

dredawg5000
15 years ago

LetÂs hear some of the things said about growing conifers that are not quite true in YOUR growing area/zone.

I live in Atlanta, GeorgiaÂ.aka Hotlanta!!

1. Clay Soil - conifers donÂt grow well in clay soil it holds too much water, roots canÂt grow or breath - clay is actually rich in nutrients and they type of clay in Georgia (red) actually drains well for me on my level/flat lot. But wouldnÂt most any soil drain well if it was on a slight slope? Although, the clay has to be broken up for planting I rarely amend the soil as recommended by UGA for many years and I havenÂt had any problems: http://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/service/library/index.php3?docID=51&docHistory%5B%5D=2

2. Its too Hot  Firs and spruces wonÂt grow well in Georgia. I havenÂt had a problem with this at all either. My golden Korean fir and spruces are thriving and surviving working on their 3rd year in clay soil and full Georgia sunÂas long as their kept watered the first year to let them root in and become established; clay actually helps maintain moisture as we enter another year of prolonged drought.

Bottom line: I think conifers are very adaptable plants and donÂt need a lot of babying. Nature is actually quite brutal and its survival of the fittest.

Comments (10)